Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 27, 2012   #1
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Default Failure to save my tomato seeds correctly

Well, I saved about 10 kinds of tomato seeds at this years Tomato Tasting Fest.

I read a few posts on how to know when they are ready to dry.

I listened to several folks at the tasting event. I've never soaked and waited for the stinky skin to form before rinsing them and setting them aside to dry.

I failed. I left them in their water cups for a week because no moldy skum ever formed. I washed them and most often, more than 80% were already sprouted. : (

First, are the ones with just tiny teensy weensy almost sprots any good? I am quite sure the ones with real sprots will need to be dumped.

Next big question. Does anyone have a few tomatoes I can come get so I can try all over again and just soak them for 2-4 days?

The one I really want is the Gold Metal and a few of the greens. My plan was to have one of each top 10 in the sweet catagory, that have a very distinct look. One red, one orange, one pink, one striped, one green, one yellow, one white, one cherry, (the black cherry in particulatr) one great tasting black,

you get the idea. I want them to look different in the garden so I can easily tell the difference.

If anyone can put in in touch with themselves or someine else who may still have their fruit source. Contact me here. Thanks.

Last edited by zeroma; August 27, 2012 at 01:11 PM.