Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 9, 2020   #1
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

Default Support Options for Cherry Toms.

Hi All. I recently switched from having three EarthTainers to two 4'x4' raised beds. In each corner of each bed I have planted various types of cherry tomatoes (with 2 currant tomatoes). And because of the long growing season here in South Texas, these could get really tall/huge.

I want to know a good way to support these plants. I have read where people stake their plants, but then they usually prune to only 1 main stem. Is this a good method for cherry tomatoes? Or should cherry tomatoes be allowed to have multiple stems?

Is there a generally accepted method for growing Cherry Tomatoes? Should multiple stems with cages be advised? Single stems with stakes? Something else? There is about 3 feet between the tomatoes (with basil planted in-between).

For support in the past, I have used the largest store-bought conical cages I could find, and have zip-tied another one, upside-down, to the top the one in the ground. This worked until high winds would push the whole structures over...

Thanks for any advise from you smart, experienced folks!

-Lyle
lapk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2020   #2
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I use Hortonova trellis outside, hanging strings in the hoophouse. But I think if I had the 4X4 beds you describe, I'd build square cages from cattle panels.
Old March 9, 2020   #3
imp
Tomatovillian™

If I am reading your post correctly, you have 2 4 foot by 4 foot beds and you have planted several cheery tomatoes and some currant tomato plants in each?

How many plants did you put in each bed and what went with what?

I am asking, because I am thinking your beds are going to be buried in those plants. I've yet to have cherry types stay smaller for me, and the currant bushes are just goofy big and wide, at least for me. You may never find your basil in that.

As to your question, I have not taken anything off my cherries normally, unless there is a problem with that branch or stem. I use sturdy cages anchored to a T post for all my tomatoes. Currants have always turned into the sort of "the tomato bush that ate Chicago" sort of thing. Huge, thick and unwieldy with a gazillion tiny tomatoes.

Last edited by imp; March 9, 2020 at 04:48 PM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2020   #4
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapk78 View Post
Hi All. I recently switched from having three EarthTainers to two 4'x4' raised beds. In each corner of each bed I have planted various types of cherry tomatoes (with 2 currant tomatoes). And because of the long growing season here in South Texas, these could get really tall/huge.

I want to know a good way to support these plants. I have read where people stake their plants, but then they usually prune to only 1 main stem. Is this a good method for cherry tomatoes? Or should cherry tomatoes be allowed to have multiple stems?

Is there a generally accepted method for growing Cherry Tomatoes? Should multiple stems with cages be advised? Single stems with stakes? Something else? There is about 3 feet between the tomatoes (with basil planted in-between).

For support in the past, I have used the largest store-bought conical cages I could find, and have zip-tied another one, upside-down, to the top the one in the ground. This worked until high winds would push the whole structures over...

Thanks for any advise from you smart, experienced folks!

-Lyle
I do exactly this - one tomato cage, with another upturned on top and zip tied together. But you're right, it's not sturdy enough. So I pound two tall rebar stakes (the kind you can buy at Home Depot that are encased in green plastic) into the ground and then zip tie them to the cages. That holds them.

EDIT: Here are the stakes I use, though I got them from HD.

Last edited by KathyDC; March 9, 2020 at 05:53 PM.
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2020   #5
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

Here is a box with currant tomatoes (Candyland) in two corners, a cherry tomato (Sun Sugar) in another, and a larger non-cherry indeterminate (Chef's Choice Orange) in the last corner. There are two pepper plants and a basil planted between the tomatoes along the sides. I want aware that currants can get so huge...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200308_162241.jpg (248.0 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by lapk78; March 9, 2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old March 9, 2020   #6
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

This is the other box, with a cherry Tom at each corner (2 Sun Sugars, 2 Sun Gold), and a couple of basil plants in-between.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200308_161933.jpg (235.6 KB, 195 views)
Old March 9, 2020   #7
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

That's a good thought. Have you used this method for cherry toms? If so, do you prune them to reduce the number of their stems? How about non-cherries? I'd like to avoid too much foliage in a cage to help with air flow? That's why I was thinking of staking... But at the same time, they're nearly all cherries and I don't know if pruning to 1 (or 2) stems is advisable for cherries.
Old March 9, 2020   #8
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapk78 View Post
That's a good thought. Have you used this method for cherry toms? If so, do you prune them to reduce the number of their stems? How about non-cherries? I'd like to avoid too much foliage in a cage to help with air flow? That's why I was thinking of staking... But at the same time, they're nearly all cherries and I don't know if pruning to 1 (or 2) stems is advisable for cherries.
I do sometimes, with cherries I most often let them sprawl. Sometimes, if it's a smaller plant, I'll use smaller stakes of the same sort and tie leggy branches off to it for support. On non-cherries, I do try to keep the foliage trimmed up for the reason you mention, you don't want it getting too crowded in the cages. I have a really hard time pruning to just one stem but I do when it starts getting too packed up. I would say experiment and see how you do, then learn lessons for next growing season. Tomatoes are pretty forgiving plants!
Old March 9, 2020   #9
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

I should say, this year I'm experimenting with some new cages, so we'll see how they do. These are what I got.
Old March 9, 2020   #10
Tonio
Tomatovillian™

I use 7' t posts : https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...77EB/205960894

stake them down 1 foot- they won't go anywhere

I also use the biggest cages from home depot, and flip the upper cage w/ zip ties, then zip tie em to the posts.

Not sure about pruning cherries toms0 guess I will see about it this year for the principe gorgese
Tonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2020   #11
imp
Tomatovillian™

Okay, the pictures are great. The tomatoes will shade out your basil after they get going and growing. I myself do not usually take cherries to 1 or 2 stems, but I do clean off the lower foliage up to about a foot, I guess, from the ground after the tomato plants get bigger.

I have in the past, taken manual hedge clippers and cut back currants when the plant got too crazy big, and I think it liked it as it just seemed to jump back with a new burst of growth!!
Old March 9, 2020   #12
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Okay, the pictures are great. The tomatoes will shade out your basil after they get going and growing. I myself do not usually take cherries to 1 or 2 stems, but I do clean off the lower foliage up to about a foot, I guess, from the ground after the tomato plants get bigger.

I was certain that these new bed would be sufficient. I mean, I used to plant two in determinants per earthtainer. And they were much closer together.

I have in the past, taken manual hedge clippers and cut back currants when the plant got too crazy big, and I think it liked it as it just seemed to jump back with a new burst of growth!!

Oh wow! I'm beginning to question just how much space this currant is going to need! And I've got TWO in this bed WITH two other indeterminates... I didn't realize how big a currant could get. It almost sounds like one would want an entire 4'x4' bed to itself... My main goal is getting plenty of Sun Sugars... They're fantastic and this is the first time I've found them in the past three years.
Old March 10, 2020   #13
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

I would suggest using a concrete wire cage 5 ft X 22" across. A cherry plant will over-top it pretty quickly, but just let it drape down over the sides. I've done this with full size tomatoes. One T-post should keep it stable.

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2020   #14
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Cattle panel arches work great for cherry tomatoes. I tie mine every few feet till they reach the top, then they grow back down the other side w/o any effort. That said Farmer Shawn's system is the best I've seen.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2020   #15
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Yet another idea to consider is like what I've done in the past with good success. Pound a tall t-post near each corner of your 4x4 block and tie horizontal loops of baling twine, about every 8"-12" to the top. As the plants grow, just clip them to the twine, using clips, a Max Tapener tool, or just pantyhose ties. This is an inexpensive solution, and has the benefit of allowing easy pruning as needed, and easy harvesting in one plane. Plus, it allows good airflow. When my cherries reach the top, I just let them grow back down. I also have to say that currents, like other categories of fruits, don't all grow the same. Some grow big and rampantly, while some are quite compact. I don't know about what you've got, but you should be able to find out.