Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old October 22, 2008   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default The Honey Locust tree.

The Honey Locust tree.

I was at Home Depot the other day and they had these trees for sale.
Nothing on the label did they say anything about the thorns.
these things have huge thorns,we had one growing on our place and it was horrible.
Kids would see the big old tree and start to clime it and to their horror they would see the thorns too late and get impaled by them.

No way would I want one of these trees in my yard for shade as Home Depot described them as a nice shade tree.
here is a picture of the thorns.
Worth

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2008   #2
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Were they in the home security department??
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2008   #3
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I have been trying to identify similar trees in the backyard here, this summer, Worth. Nasty thorns. They grow up like weeds - from seedling to 6'+ in less than 3 years. I think I've dug out 6 stumps, after cutting back the trees, over the past summer. And there are still more. We never planted them, so have a feeling the dang birds dropped the seeds.

I suppose the thorns are good for something. While I was working in the garden, I used to get birds sitting on the thorns all around me. The birds were used to me puttering about, and I could work on the flower beds below those trees without the birds taking flight. Go figure.

I did find one bird that impaled itself on a large thorn in the spring, but I'm not sure if it just didn't see it or there was another reason it flew into it.

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2008   #4
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Worth,

The hybrids are thornless.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2008   #5
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Like almost everything else in Texas, those honey locusts trees and their thorns are a lot bigger than anything we have around here. Honey Locusts here are considered a weed tree and even the State Forester when he did an assessment of my woods, suggested I cut down all the Honey Locusts. All mine are at least a third the size of the photo and the thorns are no more than an inch long.
Old October 27, 2008   #6
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Interesting looking tree, but I can see how someone could easily hurt themselves walking by it if they're not careful. Might poke out an eye or something.

I have an interest in growing trees in containers and was searching the internet for the "most beautiful trees" to see what I might enjoy growing. I didn't find a list but I did come across the Kapok tree which someone was claiming was voted as one of the 5 most beautiful trees in the world. It also has spines on the trunk. Although the one I saw a picture of did not have any. It was a large spreading tree that they say grows quickly. Also an interesting tree specimen.

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote