Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 18, 2018   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Need a good medium size RED for an EB

I'm looking for a good medium-sized red tomato that tastes good, that is Indeterminate or semi, and is resistant to stem cracking or splitting. A dwarf would be good or a regular IND that is known to grow well in an EB. That generally means it is tolerant of the constant high-moisture environment. (I'm aware that lots of folks say that anything can be grown in an EB, but my experience is many varieties do not do great.)

I've had a suggestion of Celebrity, and that might fit the bill. I've grown it before in an EB, and it did pretty good. As a matter of fact, it did the absolute best against Septoria several years ago, trouncing Iron Lady. I don't remember how it did so far as cracking. So Celebrity is a candidate. Also Homestead has been suggested, but I've never grown it, so only know what I've seen on the internet (including Youtube).

You folks who grow the Project Dwarfs -- any that would seem to be a good fit? And hybrids are absolutely OK. One that I've thought about is "Bucks County" from Burpee. I've grown it, and it is quite good, but only have grown it in dirt.

Any suggestions?
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote