Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old August 15, 2006   #1
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Default Greenhouse research

Hi all, I'm needing advice and experience to choose a greenhouse that best suits my needs. I don't even know where to start. The house we will be moving to in Kansas has a large concrete pad with several drains already that the previous owners had intended to put another out building on and never got around to it. It is big enough to accomodate a medium sized greenhouse (say the size of dokutaaguriin's) and still have room to put a work area outside too. I see that most of you are using raised beds. I had thought to use mine mainly as a starting place for tomatoes and other plants so I intend to use containers. I don't think it would be cost effective for me to plan to heat it to try winter crops nor to keep it cool in the summer. If I needed supplemental heat in the spring for starting my veggies early, I would do that.

The area is full sun and gets quite a bit of wind. In our area it gets VERY hot in the summer and VERY cold in the winter with generally several ice storms. My basic questions are how you chose your greenhouse and what company and anything that you tried that was a great idea or not, re. shelves, tables, timers, floor plan, etc. Thanks a bunch!
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2006   #2
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Hi Lori,
I will give my opinion sometime later tonight as I must finish up some seed saving and processing those tomatoes through a mill.
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2006   #3
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

IMHO, the first thing to determine is what kind of wall material you need:
1. Glass
2. Plastic
3. Transparent
4. Transluscent
5. Insulated
6. Thickness of insulation

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2006   #4
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I was thinking that too while surfing different online places and seeing the large variety of materials. With the wind, snow and possible ice or hail, I guess I would have to have something that could sustain those conditions. And while I want the best I can afford, I need to keep reminding myself that I intend to use it for extending seasons and not necessarily for growing the entire year. I just don't think it would be cost effective to try that despite my "wants," LOL. See, there are so many things to consider.
Old August 16, 2006   #5
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

I'm very happy with my Sunglo greenhouse. We ordered it as a kit and assembled it ourselves. The kit included necessary ventilation equipment. It also came with cedar shelves which can be removed. I use the shelves early in the season for flats. Early in the season, while flats are on the shelves, I bring the roses out of storage and put them on the ground under the shelves to get them started. Then I remove them when the flats and roses go outside and the tomatoes can be moved from the house to the greenhouse. The aluminum frames provide support for the tomatoes after the shelves are removed. I find using pots gives me the greatest flexibility.

I provide supplemental heat only in spring and fall for a few weeks. I close it down in the winter.

You can see the shelves stacked in the back of the greenhouse on the left side of the picture.

Click to enlarge:

Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2006   #6
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Sherry, what are the dimensions of your greenhouse?
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2006   #7
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Hi ,
Finally finished the seed saving etc.
My greenhouse is 12x16, polycarbonate (BC greenhouse-
http://www.bcgreenhouses.com/catalogue/poly02.asp

I say go with polycarbonate as it is stronger and has better insulating capabilities than glass, plastic etc and has 10 guarantee. Nothing like watching golf ball sized hail bounce off the roof.

During the hear of the summer you will probably need shade cloth or something called a swamp cooler. I will install shade cloth next year to keep the temps dow. I also have a small misting system to help cool the greenhouse.

I only use a small 1500w electric heater. I use an inner greenhouse made out of bubble wrap during the cool nightr time temps of spring.

I can use my greenhouse from March until October/November.
Hopefully this year I will get to extend the greenhouse growing season even more because I put in 4 large water barrels (55gallons) as heat sinks. These will help moderate the temperature in the greenhouse.

Shelving I just modified some Ikea shelving units and put down some wire mesh Rubbermaid (I think) shelves. Check out Earl's pics for his shelving ideas as I think you could easily incorporate his plans for a nice fall crop of tomatoes.

How many plants do you want to start in the spring?

My first green house was 8x10....before I knew I was hooked on heirlooms and had to get something bigger. At the time that is all the budget we had ...always the trade off.

Another topic to consider is will run water and electricity to the greenhouse? Do you need permits? (For me, any secondary building over 100 square feet needs a permit)

Make sure you buy a thermometer with an alarm on it so you know when it gets dangerously cold in the greenhouse. The 4am dash to protect your plants....nothing like it. I have the base station in the house and the one remote unit is in the greenhouse. Some of these can accomadate two more remote stations. I picked mine up at WallyWorld.

Any more questions....I love to share my experiences with growing in a greenhouse.

Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2006   #8
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Suze -- It's 10' x 20'.
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2006   #9
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info, I'm still looking at various sites. I agree that scrimping on size would be a big mistake in my case and everyone I've talked to wishes they had gotten a bigger one than they had. My tomatoes alone would require something bigger than a 6' x 8' or so and since I grow many vegetables and flowers....I'm sure the space would be put to use.

Our new place is in the country but I still need to check on the permit issue. The place used to be an emu farm so there are water fixtures all about the property but I'm not sure about electrical outlets. Good advice and things I need to look into!
Old August 17, 2006   #10
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Check this out:
http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearc...ouse&Submit=Go

dcarch
Old August 17, 2006   #11
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

gardengalrn, I foung this one best fitted my needs & budget; even though I only have it at half-length size for now.

For Backyard Nursery Growers: Cattle Panel Hoophouse

It's been discussed at length at DG. If you want that link too; I'll post it here for you.
Old September 28, 2006   #12
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Lori,

Have you made a decision about your greenhouse? What did you get?

Lisa
Old December 17, 2006   #13
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Lori and all others,
I've been researching greenhouses since last spring. Glad I found this thread today. I would like to know what you decided upon. I live in extreme SW KS.
Dcarch I had looked at the Harborfreight houses. Do you know what kind of wind and snow loads that will stand. We have gusty winds here up to 65 mph at times. Not often but a few times a year. Not much snow but every once in awhile will get up to 12" at once.
My main plans for mine is too start plants in and also extend the season some. Sure in time I will try heating it and maybe growing a few tomatoes in the winter.
I have toyed with the idea of ones with plastic that can be extended. Definately the cheaper route for size. But had decided that polycarbonate or something similar might be the way to go to start. Have looked at a few houses and they are more appealing look wise. The one question I have that I didn't see addressed here is height. Several of smaller size houses I've found are between 6 and 7 foot. I thought a person may need one at least 8 foot. Any comment on this from those who have greenhouses would be appreciated. I see the Harborfreight house is 10'.
Any other information or advice you can give would be very much appreciated. Plan to order around the first of the year. Thanks in advance for any and all information. Jay
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2006   #14
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkwc36
----------- Dcarch I had looked at the Harborfreight houses. Do you know what kind of wind and snow loads that will stand. We have gusty winds here up to 65 mph at times. Not often but a few times a year. Not much snow but every once in awhile will get up to 12" at once. --------------Jay
I have been reading many feed backs from people who have installed HF greenhouses. I don't remember having seen anyone who has had problems. You may want to inquire about how thick the poly panels are. I don't know how much insulation you need in your zone.

dcarch
Old January 8, 2007   #15
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I like my Rion. Got it at Sam's Club. Here's one place that sells them with good pictures. It was easy to put up but time comsuming with me doing it by myself.

http://www.riongreenhousekit.com/rio...ional-gh48.php
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote