Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 28, 2019   #451
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
to move the cut limestone

That sounds like heavy work that you could use some help with!
Thank you.

I have to do it myself. I won't accept help. That sounds bad and I apologize for it sounding that way.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; April 29, 2019 at 02:08 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2019   #452
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I got all the tools out, did all the measuring, drove stakes in and stretched line. Then we looked at it and, no - that's not going to look good. There is slope that is easy to see going downhill east to west, but there is more slope south to north than it looks like. It looks better as it already is.
Old May 4, 2019   #453
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Tomorrow or Sunday, I'm going to set up the main cages as long as the weather allows. My body has finally rested enough that the pain level is below 5, and all day, I was wanting to get out there and put up the main cages. There was some rain and I had the dragons up with the main cages in a temporary stage that would withstand 70mph winds or maybe more. My idea of halfway doing things may be different from some.

My grandfather taught me many things. My favorite was never to do things halfa**ed. Edit: I expected stars but the actual word showed up

Last edited by AlittleSalt; May 4, 2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old May 4, 2019   #454
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It took all day, but I put in the 20 T posts and wired the cages to them. The cages are 6 foot tall from the top of the buckets to the top of the cages. The picture was edited for brightness (I made it darker) The reason why my backyard is so bright is because it is standing in water and we live on a hill. It has just rained that much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0073.JPG (73.1 KB, 147 views)
Old May 4, 2019   #455
PlainJane

Wow, that’s a ton of rain. That will shoot the humidity up.
Old May 4, 2019   #456
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Nice job anchoring those cages!
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2019   #457
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you Sue.

Jane there has been a lot of rain here. The ground is saturated and is staying that way especially in clay areas. The picture sort of looks like the area is flooded, but the water is a fraction of an inch deep.

In the picture, you'll notice that I put oak leaves in the container garden. That was in hope that they would help prevent splash-up of the contaminated soil underneath. So far, it's working.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; May 5, 2019 at 12:32 AM.
Old May 5, 2019   #458
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Wow that looks great Salt. Hope your hard work pays off and you get tons of tomatoes!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2019   #459
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Those containers won't blow over!

Good job!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2019   #460
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

All of this post is from my experience and prospective. It may not be the way it's supposed to be - it is what I am seeing.

The mix in the buckets is so much different than growing in ground. If my plants were planted in-ground now, they would have already become stunted. It rained around 8 inches last week ending with rain up to Saturday morning (Yesterday). It's 11pm Sunday night as I am writing this. I'm growing plants in 5 gallon buckets with six 11/16th holes on the sides of the buckets near the bottom (Metric 17.4625 mm - the size of a man's fingertip).

I checked the mix in the buckets tonight expecting it to be saturated like the soil is, but it's not. It's not dry, but I can see being able to water/feed with the 4-18-38/Calcium Nitrate/Magnesium Sulfate tomorrow. The weather forecast is calling for 3 more inches of rain this week - the main rain day being Wednesday. So I am faced with a quandary. I could go ahead and use the water based 4-18-38... or I could scratch in a little bit of 10-10-10.

I don't know the facts on this, but in my in-ground way of thinking of things - the 10-10-10 will slowly leech it's way through the mix during the rainfall. Along the same lines of thinking, adding a water based fertilizer would be washed through faster because I am making a wet enough mix wetter before 3 inches of rain.

About those cages - it was everything I could do to drive those T Posts down. The pain level was maddening +9. Then tying the cages was a different thing. The cages are only 4 foot tall (Roughly 122cm) and they are installed about 20 or so inches above ground. I could give exact measurements, but it looks good to me. As soon as I finished Saturday - I put up the tools and hours later, I took the picture above. I didn't pay attention to anything but getting the picture to share.

The things I write are from the heart. Sympathy is not what I want because of the nerve diseases. I want share with you how I am gardening, Today, I walked out into the container garden. Those cages are taller than I am by at least a foot (30+ cm) I stand 6'-1". It was amazing to me.
Old May 6, 2019   #461
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

It is a great feeling for your mind. During some tough times years ago. I had to get out of that gosh darnoodley bed, so I decided to take a ride on my motorcycle. My wife was so angry at me. The pain was terrible, my smile was real. Keep on trucking sir. Do what you can and enjoy the view. Aloha
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2019   #462
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Tom, I completely agree. It may hurt beyond explanation but do it anyway.
Old May 7, 2019   #463
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Stunted Plants

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...825#post734825
Old May 8, 2019   #464
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I should have thought about a 5 gallon bucket with nothing growing in it. Drill the holes the exact same way - use the same mix and fertilizer and treated it as if it had a plant growing in it. That way, I could check how fast it drains or holds water. In 2015, the extreme record rainfall laid waste to our gardens. I should have remembered and put that knowledge to good use in container gardening.
Old May 8, 2019   #465
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It rained a whole lot today. We got woke up with heavy rains around 4am and it rained a lot more a few hours later. I haven't replaced the broken rain gauge, but I would guess 3-4 inches of rain at least. DFW to our north records do not reflect the rainfall amount where we live. Waco is even farther away to the south. There was a lot of dry-wash flooding. I know that some of the pepper plants received damage, but I think they will grow through it. Most of the pepper plants have outgrown the cages the are in - so I couldn't cover them without a lot of work. I did cover the tall tomato cages, and the plants look fine.