Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old January 15, 2008   #16
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by matereater View Post
WOW, it sure looks like you get quite a few off of just one plant. How many plants did you put in and in how large an area?? Any special soil requirements ?
I'm usually pretty good about recording just how many plants I put in what size an area, but I didn't do that with the peanuts, so this is from memory: I put them in an approximately 3 x 15 ft area, planting them in two main rows.

They were about a 1 ft apart in the row and the rows about 2.5 ft apart. I made additional seedings between the two main rows because I had seed left over.

I planted them out on June 7 and harvested them on Oct. 28, just before a frost. This year I will try to get them in the ground a week or so earlier, as the soil is plenty warm here in late May.

Next time I will increase the spacing, as I ended up with some crowding of the plants and I think more of the pegs would have made it to the soil if they hadn't been supported so high off the ground by neighboring foliage. We certainly don't have sandy soil--we have heavy clay amended with composted horse manure.

I don't know what kind of peanut "Black" is; Fusion might know. I do know they were fun to grow and tasty to eat.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote