Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old February 14, 2018   #16
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I framed a 4' x 8' bin out of 2x10s and put a pond liner in it. That's my big watering bin.

I am hoping to build flood and drain tables soon, as I convert my high tunnel into a greenhouse for container plants. The drain might actually be optional, if I can put just the right amount of water on to the table so that the plants soak it all up. I would most like to automate that system, but I am not there yet.
Still want the drain for the occasional rinse. Other wise you would get salt build up. Assuming nutrients are present.

So a table that size. You could fit 16 flats in? About how long do they take to soak?
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018   #17
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I don't get salt buildup, funnily enough, unless I use miracle-grow type of fertilizer. Maybe it is from using Osmocote, or maybe I just grow enough algae and bacteria to consume nutrient run-off.

Flats are quick and easy to water. Most of my plants will be in larger pots, and I let them soak until saturated, especially bigger plants in hot weather. I leave pots in water overnight quite frequently. I don't think I could grow dwarf sunflowers in trade size gallons if I top-watered.

I am at the point of being slightly profitable, but it takes up all my time. As soon as I can build an automated slightly profitable greenhouse, then I can justify building more of them.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018   #18
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

I forgot about you using Osmocote.

Im still thinking for pot crops, something like this, a multi outlet dripper:

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...ation-watering

Would take some setting up, but what doesnt? Run the poly line down the middle of the bench, or along the floor. Great thing, could be used for any pot crops.
Old February 14, 2018   #19
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I've looked at "Dribble Rings" from Dramm before, but didn't end up buying them. Someone here I think pointed out that you could just buy 90 degree elbows and make your own square of tubing around the plant with emitters on each side.

I seem to have a need to re-invent the wheel when it comes to irrigation, but I am hoping to come up with something innovative.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018   #20
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't use that system, it's easier to set up one mainline and use single 1/4" lines. The problem comes when you need to shut off the water on a few lines. You would need a recirculating system to catch the nutes/water and that's another headache to solve.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018   #21
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I wouldn't use that system, it's easier to set up one mainline and use single 1/4" lines. The problem comes when you need to shut off the water on a few lines. You would need a recirculating system to catch the nutes/water and that's another headache to solve.
Simple solution to shut off water to individual lines:

Fold 1/4 inch line in half, secure with bread twist tie. I have been saving them since last year.
Old February 15, 2018   #22
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Ahh, more transplanting. Another 8 flats of 18. Finally had to start moving flats to the other side of the seedling house.

After that it was seed sowing time. Didnt get a whole lot done, but something like 8 flats. More will be sown tomorrow. Those plants will be sold as my 8-9 week old seedlings, in the 1801 pots.
Old February 16, 2018   #23
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

More seed sowing today. Between yesterday and today, I sowed 32 assorted flats. I used a combination of 72 cell plug trays, 1204 inserts, and 1801 inserts. Some shallow, some deep.

Using vermiculite right on top. Trying to get away from the humidity domes. I realized after this that I probably need to switch over to "mass sowing" in the 1801s. At this point, I wasnt sure where all these were going to go. Already had some flats under the lights that were sown a week or so ago.

Im seriously considering a germination chamber at this point.

Mass sowing. I guess no matter what, ya gotta transplant.

I sowed a combination of hybird and op tomatoes. Trying to grow out what I think most folks would purchase. Also, growing out what should do very well here in our Hot, Humid, Diseased area.

Kelloggs Breakfast, German Johnson, Beefsteak, Large Red Cherry, Rutgers, Homestead, Marglobe, Roma, Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, Aunt Rubys German Green, Prudens Purple, Mortgage Lifter (not sure which strain), Box Car Willie, Brandywine (once again not sure the strain).

Better Boy, Big Boy (cant say I have ever tried, might keep 1 or 2 for myself), Bush Steak, Plum Regal, La Roma, Big Beef.

As far as peppers. Just the usual stuff. Cal-Wonder, Jalapeno, Banana. Already sown Hot wax, Marconi, and Lunchbox.

Sewed Stars and Stripes Eggplant. Admitting this is mostly for production, but might offer some of the plants if I have really good germination.

Next up were the Herbs. Sweet Basil, Spicy Globe Basil, Dark Opal Basil, Cinnamon Basil, Lemon Basil, Mint, and Dill. Already have Oregano and Sage, but wouldnt mind a few more flats of those. I might have to buy a few from the Wholesaler.

And finally the Flowers. Dwarf Bedding Petunias, Strawberry Blonde Marigolds, Sunny Smile Sunflowers, and Thumbelina Zinnias. Already started some other Marigolds, Eskimo and French Vanilla. A very interesting flower called Stock, and.... something else that eludes me at the moment.

So, I have been busy. But did find some frost covers in my supplies that I forgot about.

These are rated for 6-8 degrees. Found these just in time, as the next 2 nights is supposed to get down to 39 or so.
Old February 19, 2018   #24
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

This morning I had to run to town to get some Vermiculite. While I was out, look what I found.

These are Dillon 84 Cell Plug Trays. I got 56 of them. FREE!! There was a small mountain of 512 Cell Trays as well. I didnt get any of those. I really dont have any use for them. Although its hard to say what the future might hold. So I can kick myself for not getting them.

Might have to go back tomorrow to get some. Meanwhile, I did sow 7 trays... after first cleaning them with soapy water and a shot of Clorox Cleanup Spray. These previously held assorted "Supertunia's". No indicator what supplier they came from, which I find shocking.

None the less free is always welcome.
Old February 19, 2018   #25
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I have used the 1801 deeps. I truly disliked them after the sheet was broken apart. they tend to fall over in the tray pretty quickly and are hard to stand back up and keep upright to water them. just my experience.I used them for herbs and tomatoes. total pain in the backside for me. be prepared. I went back to regular 1801's last year. Good score on the plug flats though.
Old February 19, 2018   #26
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I have used the 1801 deeps. I truly disliked them after the sheet was broken apart. they tend to fall over in the tray pretty quickly and are hard to stand back up and keep upright to water them. just my experience.I used them for herbs and tomatoes. total pain in the backside for me. be prepared. I went back to regular 1801's last year. Good score on the plug flats though.
In the past I used 1 quart pots. This year trying something different.

Yes, free is always good.
Old February 20, 2018   #27
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Well, it was killing me. Just knowing that there was a landslide of 512 Cell Plug Trays just setting there. So.. I went for a little drive this A.M.

These jumped into my truck. About 58 of them. Sadly, a drop in the bucket compared to how many was left behind.

Loading them up with seeds. Gotta give them a test run. Some of my seed is fairly old, so I wont be surprised at all if I have spotty germination.

So far, I like this better then mass/community sowing. Time will tell. I do know that I need to get a Mist Head for the water hose. Or something very similar.
Old February 20, 2018   #28
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Nice score!!!

I have superhots started in one and have been bottom watering. It's working and I should be transplanting in a day or so.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018   #29
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Nice score!!!

I have superhots started in one and have been bottom watering. It's working and I should be transplanting in a day or so.
One of these pump sprayers work pretty well. You can adjust the spray pattern.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Sou...prayer/3711310
Old February 20, 2018   #30
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Nice score!!!

Just today I noticed that my Reapers are starting to pop up. Taking their sweet time. So far though, only 3, out of a bunch. Im holding out though.