Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 2, 2019   #1
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Default What will you be doing differently next year?

I learned that I now have a major deer problem. I will have to find a way to fence in my garden even though it's against my HOMA rules if I want to eat a single tomato.
Old December 2, 2019   #2
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

This is something I should have learned by now -- I am going to put my peppers on different drip irrigation from the tomatoes.

They are always too dry when they are on the same system. And it really limited production this year. Peppers seem to be impossible to over-water, and very easy to under-water.
Old December 2, 2019   #3
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Never try to grow anything in the cabbage family. I had the plants enclosed in netting completely, & still had tiny green worms.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2019   #4
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Miss S, maybe you can go minimalist with a couple strands of electrified fence?
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2019   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

My best answer is, "I'll play it by ear". I'll probably grow some native things that can include tomatoes.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2019   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Lots more dwarfs, and fewer ladders and 8' tomato stakes.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2019   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

I'll be going back to planting tomatoes early instead of late.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2019   #8
SeanInVa
Tomatovillian™

While we have deer, and they destroyed a few things - the cottontails, which have proliferated in recent years ravaged the tomatoes (with help from the chickens). So fencing is definitely in order next year!

Aside from that, will be growing more than this year and hoping to work on some watering systems
SeanInVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2019   #9
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

More diversity in vegetables is the plan for next season. I grew a greater variety of vegetables such as a winter squash medely, and gave them more attention. I actually got a handful of bush string and wax beans, and did a second picking. I'm starting to get the hang of beans, finally. Going back to trying pole and picking before they fry up.

Lettuce was awesome, I had two 4 X 4 beds going all summer. Final call for cauliflower, trying Amazing via a trade here. Trying to find the magic spot for beets. Red potato varieties and more too.

Poof to hot peppers or transplants, which are mostly gifted. Although they are fun and have bragging rights, I don't use them, and they are somehow getting in to my supply with not fun results.

Never growing corn again !!! Voles !!!!!!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2019   #10
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

better labeling.
I ended up with a lot of mystery plants from a lack of proper labeling.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2019   #11
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Starting earlier under the grow lights and making my setup more flexible so I can transfer into bigger pots and still get enough light. That way they won't sit in small cups waiting for the Florida weather to turn.

By then we'll have drip irrigation sorted and ready.

Essentially I hope to get my other half as interested as I am, or at least enough so that during the day when he's home and I'm at work, he can inspect everything and have an idea what to look for and do. I've learned that I'm essentially only a weekend gardener now that the time has changed. I get about ten minutes of light in the morning before I have to leave for work and have done a lot of checking by flashlight.

Planting more of the herbs that we use a lot - cilantro or similar that doesn't bolt as early, parsley, thyme, and chives.

Some better, bigger containers for deep plants and things that will need support. Learning about making my own hypertufa planters.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2019   #12
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to let most of my tomato patch lie fallow next year and try out some nematode mitigation methods. I'll only plant a few resistant hybrids in-ground...the rest I will plant in containers.

I had to Google "hypertufa" Looks pretty cool!

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2019   #13
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I've been away from TVille much more than I've been around this late summer and fall, but nice to see your post Patti!

I will be devoting less space to experimental stuff--it is fun to do these experiments but 2019 I devoted too much space to them. This is the latest I've planned my garden, will be starting soon--I know it's only December, but still late for me!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2019   #14
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Far fewer dwarfs. Fewer total plants. More potato leaf plants. Less experimenting + more varieties that have done well in the past. More fertilizer for in-ground plants. Spray longer in the season! Do better at sticking with these resolutions!

Last edited by Greatgardens; December 3, 2019 at 11:28 PM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2019   #15
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

A lot of experiments - potatoes from TPS seeds, bed of okra and also eggplants. Tomatoes of the same variety and number , in addition, a hybrid variety of Fred Hempel. Use purple clover as green fertilizer.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote