Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old March 11, 2013   #46
Buzzard II
Tomatovillian™

I've never had basil I didn't like! Neighbors like anything I've grown in the past too! That said, this year I'm growing Genovese and Large Leaf Organic. Planted seeds today (indoors), 11 March 2013.

Last edited by Buzzard II; March 11, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
Buzzard II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2013   #47
sio2rocks
Tomatovillian™

I also am partial to Cinnamon Basil and this year I am growing Mammoth Basil in addition.
sio2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2013   #48
Stowaway
Tomatovillian™

I've got seeds for Thai and Genovese which, come to think of it, I need to get germinating. But last year I got a seedling from the nursery of a variety called "Pesto Perpetual." It has pale, variegated leaves trimmed with white, which makes them look paler still. I'd never heard of the variety before, and I loved it.

Despite its name, it was my favorite variety for eating fresh in salads. It was very aromatic, but didn't have much of that floral scent that fresh basil can sometimes have. Its flavor was also quite mild, which is why I liked it for eating fresh. It grew huge and never flowered. I feel like I'm writing an ad for it. Anyway, I'm hoping the nursery will carry it again this year. . .
Stowaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2013   #49
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post
chocolate mint? does it really taste like chocolate and mint or is it a brown mint?
Yes, it really does taste chocolatey. Very good in chocolate chip cookies or brownies. I use about 1/2 cup chopped finely.
Always makes me think of people making pot brownies, adding herb to my brownies.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2013   #50
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I just seeded (into mini-blocks) Napoletano Basil, Clove-scented Basil, Cinnamon/Mexican Basil, Sweet Basil, Genovese Basil, Dwarf Basil Blend, Thai Basil, Lemon Basil, and Lime Basil. I have grown the last six before, and love them all, of course for different purposes.
Old June 6, 2013   #51
swamper
Tomatovillian™

I've had great luck direct seeding basil using spun poly row covers with no support to trap heat and assure germination. There is a little more hand weeding than with transplants but I can reliably get dense hedges of different types of basils this way.
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2013   #52
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Tough call with so many varieties of Basil available...I usually grow 6-7 types of Basil every year. But this season I think my favorite Basil has to be Purple Petra Basil, as it serves a dual purpose throughout my garden, one being a mild sweet tasting basil and the other being a reliable ornamental color contrast against the green foliage everywhere.

~Alfredo
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2013   #53
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

I've heard that the flavored basil types loose their distinctive flavors over time and revert back to normal tasting basil. I've never had a plant last more than a few months, so I have not had this problem. But, I am going to try to keep a plant all year long in my greenhouse.

Does anyone know why this happens or better yet how to prevent it from happening? Thank you
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2013   #54
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

greek columnar, lettuce leaf and boxwood

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2013   #55
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I like Lettuce Leaf basil for pesto and chopping and Greek basil for salads and garnishes because I like to use the whole leaves. I tried Lemon Basil this summer and it was indeed very lemony. Unfortunately not very basily though.
Old August 1, 2013   #56
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorri D View Post
I've heard that the flavored basil types loose their distinctive flavors over time and revert back to normal tasting basil. I've never had a plant last more than a few months, so I have not had this problem. But, I am going to try to keep a plant all year long in my greenhouse.

Does anyone know why this happens or better yet how to prevent it from happening? Thank you
i have had an African blue basil plant live for 6 or 7 years without this occurring.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2013   #57
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

That sounds like a beautiful plant, I'm going to have to google a picture of that one
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2013   #58
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Sweet basil and large leaf Italian and they taste very much the same to me. Just larger leaves.

BUT I did try blue spice basil this year and I may end up liking it somewhere. Just haven't figured out the recipe for it yet. To me it tastes like an extra strong blend of basil and mint. Even looks like a mint.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2013   #59
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Scott that basil sounds so good. I want to find out what kind of basil this Vietnamese woman is growing and using in her restaurant. I go there frequently and I love whatever basil she is using.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2013   #60
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Their is 2 types of Thai Basil and many others from Southeast Asia, very easy to grow if you can find seeds we love them
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote