Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 12, 2014   #1
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Default Matina

This variety has become my first choice for the earliest tomato. This year, she is unbelievable. I didn't count the number of fruit already set, but she has 160 blossoms right now. This is only the second week of June and I am in Michigan. I started her 4 weeks earlier than my other tomatoes, but that is something of a liability, because she doesn't get a proper home until the second week of May at the earliest.

What are your favorite early tomatoes?
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2014   #2
trainwreckz5
Tomatovillian™

My earliest here in the UP every year is always Gregori`s Altai. I always plant several for canning because they have been so reliable and disease free for me. I had them grow back after an early frost killed them in the fall and they were loaded with green tomatos at the end of October. They have a better flavor than any other early variety I plant. I used to plant Stupice but the flavor just wasn`t there for me. Kimberly was not too great either.
trainwreckz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2014   #3
joseph
Tomatovillian™

My favorite early tomatoes are Jagodka, Nevskiy Red, Matina, and two that I have lost names for. In that order. I planted more than 100 Jagodka plants this summer, and about 36 each of the others.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2014   #4
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I have both Matina and Bloody Butcher loaded with fruit and have been eating several off of each one. IMO Matina is sweet, BB is more complex in tomato taste. Both have more than a hundred fruit already set.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2014   #5
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Sophie's Choice and Kimberley ....both are productive and have real tomato taste.
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2014   #6
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Am growing a number of early tomato varieites. Matina was planted May 15 and has 5 marble sized tomatoes, along with Jaune Flammee. Moravsky Div which went into container has 15 marble sized tomatoes with 2 of them decent sized. Have trusses on both Sugar Drop and Sunsugar F1 which were planted April 26 but Sugar Drop has less sun and it shows, Sunsugar is def coming ahead. Out of bigger varieties I have 16 marble sized green tomatoes on Indian Stripe, 9 on Kermit and multiple beginning on many others started in WOW April 26. Biyskaya Roza and Bychie Serdtse have each one fairly large tomato and several small ones. Black Yum Yum surprisingly has at least one tomato at about full size after planting May 15. Sakharnyi Pudovichok has at least one decent sized tomato with some smaller ones starting. I like to get early start on my tomatoes as Chicago weather in Sept is a gift.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote