Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 11, 2017   #46
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Our hit this year is Terhune- what a wonderful tomato and fantastic flavor! Dotson's Lebanese Heart (the CORRECT naming) has also proven to be very productive, with the size and taste of Omar's Lebanese, but a much prettier shape. Rebel Yell was also wonderful, but Terhune is coming back next year for sure!
Yes Darin,Terhune is an excellent variety despite the somewhat muddy history.

The correct naming above for you Darin and some others,but not the correct name for many others who prefer Omar's Lebanese Heart and I'm now in contact with Omar..

Carolyn,who will get back to you soon on the Lebanese situation as well since we now have 4 persons from Lebanon who go back every few years to visit..Even discussed at one point the Cedars of Lebanon and I referenced some archaeology work that has been done to determine the age of planks and logs found in a dig.I love my history of this and that.
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #47
ddsack
Tomatovillian™
 
ddsack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern Minnesota - zone 3
Posts: 2,841
Default

Carolyn, it absolutely does not matter that you, or anyone else prefers the name Omar's Lebanese Heart, to the already established name that Darin has chosen of Dotson's Lebanese Heart. Seeds have already been distributed and it is listed that way in the Tomatobase.

Omar did NOT have a heart from his tomato. You did not ever have a heart from Omar's tomato. Apparantly, no one EVER had a heart from Omar's tomato until Darin found one in his garden two years ago. He did not receive his seeds from Omar, he did not receive his seeds from you. He purchased his seeds from Totally Tomatoes, a commercial company and who knows how many generations and years their growers seeds were removed from those first ones supplied by Omar. In all those years, no one came forward with a heart until Darin. He found it and has every right to call it whatever he wants. Not what you want, and not what anyone else wants. This is now Darin's find, and Omar can no longer take any credit for it.
__________________
Dee

**************
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #48
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 8,901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Grandma Oliver's Chocolate, two enthusiastic thumbs up. Thank u Marsha.
Your welcome, but no, not me. I want to grow it but haven't yet. Your endorsement is a good incentive.
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time”. Maya Angelou
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #49
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 8,901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I have been reluctant to post anything serous on this thread BUT.
IF you haven had mortgage lifter it is is real must to try.
The (((((Pink)))))) I have been always looking for.
Worth, you GOTTA try Elgin Pink. Truly superb.
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time”. Maya Angelou
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #50
cloz
Tomatovillian™
 
cloz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Connecticut
Posts: 421
Default

I second the Elgin Pink. (seeds from Marsha, Thank You!). Great tasting very meaty tomato.

Cloz
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #51
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California Central Valley
Posts: 2,396
Default

Tomatoes are just starting to ripen for me, and most of the first ones have BER from inconsistent watering. The taste winners so far, out of about 10 varieties, are Brutus and Green Gables. (Thanks to Marsha for seeds!) Sweet and luscious. It's so early in the season that every tomato tastes great, but these two are outstanding. Also notable are Jersey Devil and Black from Tula, which are the most productive so far and have had no BER.

Of the cherries. SunSugar F1 and Indigo Kumquat F1 are wonderful. They're both in the shady backyard, so are not very productive.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #52
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Carolyn, it absolutely does not matter that you, or anyone else prefers the name Omar's Lebanese Heart, to the already established name that Darin has chosen of Dotson's Lebanese Heart. Seeds have already been distributed and it is listed that way in the Tomatobase.

Omar did NOT have a heart from his tomato. You did not ever have a heart from Omar's tomato. Apparantly, no one EVER had a heart from Omar's tomato until Darin found one in his garden two years ago. He did not receive his seeds from Omar, he did not receive his seeds from you. He purchased his seeds from Totally Tomatoes, a commercial company and who knows how many generations and years their growers seeds were removed from those first ones supplied by Omar. In all those years, no one came forward with a heart until Darin. He found it and has every right to call it whatever he wants. Not what you want, and not what anyone else wants. This is now Darin's find, and Omar can no longer take any credit for it.
Dee,first, Omar has NEVER taken credit for a heart shaped version of the original,EVER as you said above. I only got back in contact with Omar a few weeks ago and his first comment to me started with a WOW,saying it was 23 years since we last knew each other when he was an adjunct at a place where I was teaching.He never even knew there was a heart version until I told him about it.

Yes, Darin sent seeds of his heart version to both Marsha and myself, but I was in the hospital then rehab at the time, so didn't get them until later. Dutch was the person in my seed producer group who elected to do seed production and he saved lots of seeds.I had told Darin that Dutch confirmed it was a heart and he asked if I could put him in touch with Dutch, I said yes, but that was a big mistake other than Dutch showing him pictures of the plants with hearts..

And why was it my mistake?B/c Darin kept asking Dutch for more and more seeds, Dutch ended up sending him about 400 seeds,and Darin turned around and made a seed off with Dutch's seeds without even mentioning Dutch as his seed source as I recall but would have to confirm that. After that I told my seed producers that they were there to produce seeds for my seed offers ,they knew that already and loved growing out new varieties,and those who are SSE members for their listings there.Of course as soon as my seed offers went up, those who had done seed production could share with whomever they wanted to,and did.

What you see at Tania's listing now,is NOT what it originally was, since Darin had made some claims that were not true.Dutch asked Tania's permission to correct some of the errors, and he told her how he was involved, and she agreed, but soon got very upset to find herself in
a political situation.What you see now at her site is this

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/D...Lebanese_Heart

The only issue remaining was when Darin said that the Dotson was formerly known as Omar's Lebanese Heart, no, not formerly at all.

You said that Darin had the RIGHT to name it as he did,I'd be glad to link to the three very contentious threads where all of this was argued,so you can count how many agreed,or disagreed as to his RIGHT. I've kept all 3 three threads in my faves.

I offered to him that I would be glad to list it as Omar's Lebanese Heart,aka Dotsons Lebanese Heart, he wasn't willing to even negotiate at all.After all there would be no heart form at all if it weren't for the original Omar's Lebanese, which is important to remember.

(Omar did NOT have a heart from his tomato. You did not ever have a heart from Omar's tomato. Apparantly, no one EVER had a heart from Omar's tomato until Darin found one in his garden two years ago. He did not receive his seeds from Omar, he did not receive his seeds from you. He purchased his seeds)

The above is all true as I tried so desperately to explain to you.

Again, your last sentence, Omar NEVER took any credit for a heart version,he didn't even know there was one when I finally got in touch with him and told him.. That is important to know.

Why oh why does this issue continue to go on and on and on,but my offer to you to link to those three horrible threads is still valid if you want to confirm what I said above.

Carolyn

Q.E.D.
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #53
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™
 
Sun City Linda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal Inland
Posts: 2,715
Default

I was very pleased with Danko this year which I grew in a 7 gallon container. Early, very productive and held out a long time. The taste was good to me and I will grow it again as a paste and salsa tomato.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Danko plant ripening.jpg (384.9 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg Danko plant.jpg (382.2 KB, 233 views)
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #54
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
I was very pleased with Danko this year which I grew in a 7 gallon container. Early, very productive and held out a long time. The taste was good to me and I will grow it again as a paste and salsa tomato.
I absolutely Love Danko, a nice red heart,but I couldn't remember where I got it from so fetched Tania's page for it

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Danko

And I still don't know since all it says it that Andrey and I SSE listed it in was it 2008, so I'd have to go back to some of my earlier SSE Year books to find out.

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #55
zolee777
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 2
Default

So far:
1. Green Tiger, prolific, no BER, the best cherry I ever tried
2. Black Prince, prolific, healthy, good flavour
zolee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #56
ddsack
Tomatovillian™
 
ddsack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern Minnesota - zone 3
Posts: 2,841
Default

Quote:
What you see at Tania's listing now,is NOT what it originally was, since Darin had made some claims that were not true.Dutch asked Tania's permission to correct some of the errors, and he told her how he was involved, and she agreed, but soon got very upset to find herself in
a political situation.What you see now at her site is this

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/D...Lebanese_Heart
Carolyn, I don't have time to answer this and other comments in your latest post now. Too much going on here this weekend. But when I do answer, I will move this conversation to the appropriate subject thread. Having these partial contentious off-topic discussions going on in unrelated threads is distracting and uninformative. I should have moved my answer there before I replied.
__________________
Dee

**************
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #57
paprika
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Carolyn, I don't have time to answer this and other comments in your latest post now. Too much going on here this weekend. But when I do answer, I will move this conversation to the appropriate subject thread. Having these partial contentious off-topic discussions going on in unrelated threads is distracting and uninformative. I should have moved my answer there before I replied.
Kudos! Spot on and well played! Your and Darin's patience is admirable!

Meanwhile, back to the OP's thread topic....
paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #58
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Carolyn, I don't have time to answer this and other comments in your latest post now. Too much going on here this weekend. But when I do answer, I will move this conversation to the appropriate subject thread. Having these partial contentious off-topic discussions going on in unrelated threads is distracting and uninformative. I should have moved my answer there before I replied.
Dee, please don't bother to go to what you call an appropriate subject thread since I've decided that I'm out here and anywhere else for several reasons and won't continue the discussion.

Only to say that I found the envelope that Darin sent me with the seeds a few weeks ago and on the seed pack he had written POSSIBLY a heart form of Omar's Lebanese, and that can be confirmed by any of my seed producers since I listed it as possibly a heart form of Omar's Lebanese for them to chose from, which Dutch did so chose.This before he decided to rename it.

Enough is enough for me, I'm out.

Carolyn,who still has other info to share with Darin, but not related to this issue at all.
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #59
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paprika View Post
Kudos! Spot on and well played! Your and Darin's patience is admirable!

Meanwhile, back to the OP's thread topic....
Paprika,I'm glad to see that you like me just as much as you always have in the past.

Thanks for sharing ,

Carolyn,who should refer to you in the future as Captain Kirk, as in well played.
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #60
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I absolutely Love Danko, a nice red heart,but I couldn't remember where I got it from so fetched Tania's page for it

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Danko

And I still don't know since all it says it that Andrey and I SSE listed it in was it 2008, so I'd have to go back to some of my earlier SSE Year books to find out.

Carolyn
And now I remember where I got it from and here's the link

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...t=tsar-kolokol

For anyone who gets commercial seed packs in another language,I know you'll enjoy the thread, which dates back to 2007 and you'll also recognize many who answered who are still major posters here today.

So my Danko seeds were directly from Russia.

Enjoy!

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:07 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★