Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 23, 2018   #1
beetkvass
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato varieties for fusarium and blight?

I was going to try grafting to deal with what seems like likely fusarium in my garden. But that won't address early or late blight will it? I suspect I have multiple diseases going on. It seems most people are grafting heirlooms on the root stock. Any good tomato varieties for dealing with blight? I desperately want some successful tomatoes this year.

I should add that I always put a deep straw mulch around my tomatoes to prevent rain splashing the soil on them to prevent spread of disease. It makes no difference. So besides thick mulch, larger plant spacing and now grafting any other suggestions along with new varieties? Thanks!
beetkvass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018   #2
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Mountain Merit and many of the mountain series are very disease resistant. Another tip is to use determinate varieties with high resistance and succession plant weekly for a month or so. That way you should have tomatoes all year. You also need to take a diseased plant to your extension office and verify exactly what diseases you have. Otherwise your just shooting in the dark.

http://extension.uga.edu/publication...1271#Varieties
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018   #3
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Late Blight is spread by spores that float through the air so grafting and mulching will not help prevent infection by Late Blight spores.

Is LB really a problem in the south? We have problems with it in the East when we have low temperatures and high humidity. This means that I have LB problems late in the season, usually in August if we get a cool, damp spell.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018   #4
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
Late Blight is spread by spores that float through the air so grafting and mulching will not help prevent infection by Late Blight spores.

Is LB really a problem in the south? We have problems with it in the East when we have low temperatures and high humidity. This means that I have LB problems late in the season, usually in August if we get a cool, damp spell.
I've never had LB, EB yes, and pretty much everything else, but no LB isn't typically an issue. I think she likely has FW or BW combined with EB, bacterial speck, and possibly TSWV (all common in south)

Last season I grew Mountain Merit in an area infected with Bacterial wilt and they did fine. Sometimes in the South you don't have many options but to grow not so great varieties or graft.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote