Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 10, 2012   #1
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Default How many peppers in this space...

I have an old cold frame that isn't being used as such. Next year I would like to convert it to a pepper bed, either planting directly in the soil, or using 5 gallon buckets; it measures 2-1/4' x 6' . I think it is about 12" deep.

I would like to plant 2 each of a Numex Anaheim type, an Italian frying type, a variety similar to Padron, and a bell pepper type. Whatever can't fit in the old cold frame will go into the main garden area.

Thank you for any input.
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2012   #2
Chenango
Tomatovillian™

Default space

Hello Halleone,

I think You will have enough space for 8 plants. I grow 10 plants in my beds that are 3' x 6' . I prefer to plant my peppers directly in the soil instead of using conteners since I have less watering to do.

May I suggest Jimmy Nardello variety as italian frying pepper. It's the sweetest frying pepper I know, especially after they turned deep red . Its walls are not thick enough for roasting but perfect for frying ...

Chenango

Last edited by Chenango; August 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM.
Chenango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2012   #3
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking I might be able to get three plants in that space, peppers must not mind being friendly with their neighbor!

I have grown Jimmy N for a few years, but decided to try Tolli's Sweet this year. It is shorter and fatter than Jimmy, and I think sweeter. My husband actually enjoyed them, which says a lot, as he won't eat the other sweet peppers. I wonder what he will think of Guernika?

My Dester seeds should arrive this next week, if you would like a few of them or of the Tolli's Sweet. Let me know

Link to the thread that got me interested in Dester:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=24082

Lynn
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2012   #4
Chenango
Tomatovillian™

Default Jimmy

Of course you will get bigger plants an a better production if You space your pepper plant far apart but my garden is quite small and I crowd them a little bit but them don't mind because I have plenty of fruits every year.

About Jimmy Nardello's sweet pepper: It's the perfect pepper to fry in a pan with some olive oil but, I agree with You, Tolly is a better one if You intend to grill it since its walls are thicker.

I hope your husband will like the Gernika but keep in mind that they are suppose to by pan fried in a little bit of olive oil untill they wilt and their skin get browned and then You just sprinkle them with your best seasalt. You use them while they are still green. If your husband doesn't like green pepper or thin skinned peppers, You may have a problem !?!?!?

I like these peppers as appetizer while I am enjoying a classic martini cocktail... something salty an smoky that goes perfectly with my drink.

Now about the Dester tomato: Of course I would like to try it in summer 2013 but my tomato selection is already made and I will have room for only one or two plant. So, If You are kind enough to give me some seed, I don't need much and I don't need it right now .
Chenango is offline   Reply With Quote