Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 29, 2013   #1
falca
Tomatovillian™

Default Grafted tomatoes in Earthtainer

Just planted two "double grafted" tomato plants from Territorial in my newly constructed Earthtainer (Thanks, Raybo!)

Am used to planting the whole stem to provide stability and more roots but, obviously, can't do that with the grafted plants or the whole grafting concept is negated.

What sorts of adjunct supports do the experienced hands on here use to buck-up these plants in Earthtainers??

Thanks!

Falca in Northern Illinois
falca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013   #2
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Falca,
Congrats on the earthtainer and the grafted plants!
What varieties?
Adjunct supports- do you mean in addition to the caging system to support them while they are small? Simple stakes and ties ought to work.
Planting deep- a little late to do so but if you are using a soilless mix, not a lot of concern with soil borne diseases. I am putting grafted plants in earthtainers and will most likely plant them deep anyway.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

falca,

I use slim bamboo sticks with supermarket twist-ties to attach to the plant.

James,

Be sure to keep the graft joint above the Mix surface.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013   #4
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,
On most of them I am not going to! All I was really after was the increased vigor (hopefully) offered by the maxifort rootstock. I can't think of a reason to not allow the scions to also grow some roots as well. Other than soil disease of course, which we shouldn't have right?
Old May 3, 2013   #5
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

James,

Not necessarily true. Even soiless mixes can develop fungal issues over time. Best recommendation is to keep the graft point above the soil line. No significant benefit of deep planting in an EarthTainer.

Raybo
Old May 3, 2013   #6
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

I fully expect to see some "fungus amungus" this year, just not of the soil borne variety.
I would agree that the roots are going to fill the 'tainer anyway over the course of the season so planting deep might not make a bit of difference.
Old May 3, 2013   #7
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

James,

Just remember that Whiteflies, Aphids and other insects can carry in fungal diseases.

Raybo
Old May 3, 2013   #8
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Absolutely. But there lies the proverbial rub. Resistant rootstock won't really help us with most of the stuff brought in by wing or wind. Which also reminds me I need to pick up a new jug of Serenade!
Old May 8, 2013   #9
falca
Tomatovillian™

RE: grafted varieties and early support

James:

One plant has Sungold and Sweet Million The second is Brandywine and Grande Marzano.

Raybo:

The Earthtainer is working very well. Both plants are taking off and aren't as "spindly" I've supported them with wooden chopsticks and Soft Twists ... until they can rely on a concrete reinforcing panel cage. The heat from the black plastic cover started to worry me (and the plants) so I've covered it with a thin layer of bark mulch. The 'Tainer is on a mover's dolly for mobility.

Thanks again!

falca
Northern Illinois
falca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013   #10
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

falca,

Good move with the microbark covering the moisture barrier. That is my garden project for tomorrow.

Half-way through the Season, I suggest doing the "Tainer-Tango" and rotate them 180 degrees to even out the growth pattern.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; May 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM.