Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 26, 2006   #1
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

Default Varieties for hanging baskets?

I would like to know what grows good in hanging baskets. I am going to do the Tumblers in hanging baskets but have two more baskets and want to know if any of the other seeds I have can be used in the baskets or if I need to get more seeds What has grown good for you in hanging baskets?
SelfSufficient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2006   #2
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Silvery Fir tree and Sophies Choice are the only ones I have tried. -Rena
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2006   #3
cthomato
Tomatovillian™

I grew Tumbler last year in a 1-gallon self-watering hanging basket. Produced several hundred toms. Most were bland and watery. Then I moved it to a sunnier spot and watered it less and the taste improved. Here's a pic:

cthomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2006   #4
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Cthomato,

Very nice hanging basket--loads of blossoms and fruits.
Did you get that S.W. container from Gardener's Supply?

farkee (MCP)

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2006   #5
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

Wow, that looks really nice! Mine will be right in the sun of the front porch, they may get some afternoon shade from the house. Is that just one plant in the hanging basket?
Old February 28, 2006   #6
cthomato
Tomatovillian™

MCP - Yes, I got the planter from GSC. They had a sale and I bought three. I now use them for trailing bacopa and petunias and they work great.

SS1 - And, yes, that was one single plant. I was amazed at how well it spread out. This location is south facing and it gets shade in the late afternoon. So I expect you'll see very similar results.
Old February 28, 2006   #7
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

Yes, it has spread nicely. Did you pinch/prune it back any? I see the tomatoes are a little smaller than I thought but that is alright as long as I get tomatoes this year. I only got a couple last year from my garden that is why I want to do some container gardening this year.
I had planted a couple seeds in my hanging baskets and may have to transplant some out if they are going to spread out this nicely, lol.
Old February 28, 2006   #8
cthomato
Tomatovillian™

I didn't pinch back this one, not even once. By the way, virtually every blossom you see in the picture turned into fruit. Don't be surprised you get more than you can handle. But that's a good problem to have.

As for the fruit size and shape, they are like grape tomatoes and about 1/2" to 1" long.
Old March 5, 2006   #9
sacratomato70
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomatoes for Hanging Baskets

If you like Italian tomatoes and looking for new varieties to try , there is Astro (San Marzano plum type designed to work in a container), San Marzano Nano (roma type) - I grew this one in a container last year, (huge fruit, great flavor), and Grappoli d'Inverno (a hanging basket grape tomato). I just ordered and received the seed this year and I cannot wait to try it. For more info on these varieties you can visit www.growitalian.com They have an outstanding selection of tomatoes and peppers.
Many determinate varieties also work well in a container like Roma, Viva Italia, Bush 506, Container Choice, Bush Beefsteak, Vis, etc. because they are shorter in height than the indeterminates.
sacratomato70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2006   #10
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that site yet. I have plenty for regular containers but really want some that will grow in hanging baskets. I do have someone who is sending me some silvery fir tree so going to try a few of those too.