Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 14, 2006   #46
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Pepper Power

What fun!

Also, I bought some of those thin-fleshed long sweet caps. last night to grill on the bbq with lamb. Though they were commercial types I think these may indeed be the frying types referred to on this forum.

They were much sweeter than the usual big reds and really nice stacked on the marinated beef skewers, all nicely charred, as were the onion spacers.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2006   #47
Catntree
Tomatovillian™

Jennifer,

What have you found for varieties of seasoning peppers? I've grown Trinidad Seasoning, Aji Dulce, and a couple others, I think....They are great!
What else is out there of this type, please?
Old February 15, 2006   #48
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Cat, this is what I am growing this year 2006 for sure:

Aji Cachucha
Aji Dulce
(red, 6 variants from different locations, mainly in Venezuela, or different sources)
Aji Dulce #2 (red, 3 variants as above)
Aji Dulce Yellow #1
Aji Dulce Yellow #2
Aji Dulce (orange-yellow)
Amazon Chile Roma
Atarodo
Cheiro from Recife
Datil Sweet

NuMex Suave Orange
NuMex Suave Red
PI 281423
Red Squash Aji Dulce
Rocotillo (the chinense version)
Scotch Bonnet Tobago Sweet
St Lucia Yellow Seasoning
St Martin's Seasoning
Tobago Seasoning
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Seasoning

I am still seeking seed sources for Grenada Seasoning, Dominica Seasoning, Venezuelan Sweet, St Lucia Red Seasoning and a few others. Growing them all out will indicate whether some are identical but with different names. However, I have photos of most of them and so far so pretty individual.

Here's a quotation from Chile Pepper magazine:

Seasoning pepper, a variety of Capsicum chinense that takes various forms throughout the Caribbean, is used to flavor rather than to heat a dish...Sweet and highly aromatic, they add a mild heat and mouthfuls of flavor.

I wouldn't agree with calling all of them sweet. While some do have sweet undertones, they are not anything like a sweet pepper.

Jennifer...well you did ask :wink:
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2006   #49
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

I forgot to say re all those Aji Dulces, that it is much more common in Pepperville for many peppers to have the same name than for a single pepper to have many names, as is found in Tomatoville. I anticipate finding interesting--tasty!!--differences amongst them. Thank heaven seasoning peppers are all the same species so I don't need to track that as well. Just tracing them back to home turf was enough of a challenge in some cases.

I do not intend to rename anything to avoid future confusion. I may, however, consider adding a descriptor as LVS is to Red Brandywine. Comments on this are welcome.

Jennifer
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2006   #50
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Had to dig this thread up again.
I made a salsa again, the same one I have made three other times with Jalapenos from the same plant. The other times the salsa was mild but yummy. This time it had some real fire in it, extra yummy.

A big bag of sour cream and onion crisps were used to scoop it into waiting burning lips

Its been hot here lately, and very hot in the greenhouse where this plant is, in a pot.
I really don't care why this one was so hot, but I hope the rest are as well.

Mantis - self confessed pepper newbie, but becoming a pepper fool.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2006   #51
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Stuff

Hi Jennifer,

I'm really glad to read that there is a big variation of flavours within these peppers. I was hoping the flavours went beyond the three main families. Your post seems suggests there's probably plenty of niced surprises on the peper road ahead. I'll be watching for reports.

Manto,
I think it might be like a drug. More more more. I do get a kick out of 'em and salsa is just great. Yours sounds delish I'll bring the slab.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote