Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 13, 2013   #31
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I agree and it looks like I'll only be growing heirlooms this year, so I will stick to one per pot. I just hope 20 gallon smart pots are going to be big enough. I think I'm also going to mulch this year. It's hard to know what kind of summer we're going to have here. We can only plant outside by the end of May to be safe.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2013   #32
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Home Depot or Lowes
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2013   #33
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Sharon,
HomeHardware and Rona carry the large buckets with the rope handles. All you have to do is drill holes. Cheap cheap for the size. I've got quite a few. And can put multiple peppers, cukes or up to 3 tomatoes in one.
Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2013   #34
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

I am going to try one plant in 25 gal Smart pots this year. About 17 or so. The first 6 early with waterwalls.
Old April 22, 2013   #35
EarlyStarter
Tomatovillian™

I grow all of my container tomatoes in halved oak whisky barrels. 35-40 gallons per container I believe. I would hardly call it cheap, but with all of the wineries in the area I score some free or affordable barrels from time to time. I generally only plant one mater per barrel, and grow them into monsters...
EarlyStarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2013   #36
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyStarter View Post
I grow all of my container tomatoes in halved oak whisky barrels. 35-40 gallons per container I believe. I would hardly call it cheap, but with all of the wineries in the area I score some free or affordable barrels from time to time. I generally only plant one mater per barrel, and grow them into monsters...
Those whisky or wine barrels never seemed to last long for me. They seem to rot or fall apart quickly. What kind of life do you get from them?

Ted
Old April 22, 2013   #37
EarlyStarter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
Those whisky or wine barrels never seemed to last long for me. They seem to rot or fall apart quickly. What kind of life do you get from them?

Ted
I've been able to get several years out of them so far. Only 1 of about a dozen barrels is starting to look a bit rough with the rings falling down a bit. They sell liners to fit as well, but I haven't bothered as it would just add quickly to the cost. I guess I'll have to see just how much life I get out of them, so far so good though
EarlyStarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2013   #38
GoGayleGo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite26 View Post
Never used these but price is pretty good: http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...ery-containers
I just called Greenhouse Megastore, and these containers have drain holes...so no good for me. Dang.
GoGayleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2013   #39
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGayleGo View Post
Ted,

DH laughed at me when I showed him your earlier post and the price you paid...he wanted to know where you lived and said there was no way we'd find something like that here for $2...you are very lucky! I bought my 18-gallon totes at Target, on sale for $6.99 each.
I find them for around $4 in the hill country of TX but around here they want $8 per and I would have to drive 60 miles one way to get them. This makes it very hard to justify the fuel costs. I cannot find any nearby me at all.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2013   #40
GoGayleGo
Tomatovillian™

These are more medium than large (10 gallon), but I picked up a dozen yesterday at Big Lots - three each of four different colors for $7 each. My intention is to plant blackberries and raspberries in them (those were picked up for $4 each at WalMart). Thought they were fun and colorful, and I'll adapt them for sub-irrigation.

http://www.biglots.com/p/c/serveware...-ice-tub-10gal
GoGayleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013   #41
Nick287
Tomatovillian™

Maybe use 55 gallon plastic barrels and cut them in half. I see them on Craigslist around here for $10 each.
Nick287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013   #42
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Gayle,

I wouldn't plan on long term planting in them as the Sun's UV will destroy these after about 4 years outdoors. You could wrap them in bamboo or rattan to extend their life somewhat.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013   #43
Nick287
Tomatovillian™

I've been using a white one for water for 5 years. I found it on an island I know it had been there for 10 + years. It's still holding strong.
Old May 4, 2013   #44
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Sorry Nick,

I was referring to the ones Gayle listed in her post.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013   #45
Nick287
Tomatovillian™

Not a problem, I was wondering if the blue ones are different as I've only use the white one. I guess I should have said that.