Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 10, 2013   #1
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Default Fertilizer in self watering containers

The earthbox and earthtainer instructions both have the fertilizer concentrated in a tight band. Is this for convienience? Or would it be better if it were uniformly mixed in the soil mix? Same question about the lime uniform or concentrated?

Also, I have unlimited supply of limestone cuttings from well drilling. Can I use these instead of agricultural lime? The cuttings are much coarser. I can sift out sand size limestone but nothing is as fine as the dust you buy at the store. Under a hand lense the individual particles look very porus.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2013   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Dont know about the limestone, but the theory behind putting the fert in a strip is that the plant roots will seek out and find the fert and use it gently so it doesnt burn the plant.
Old February 10, 2013   #3
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I mix mine into the soil evenly. Works fine that way. The lime you are suppose
to mix into the soil.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2013   #4
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I think one of the reasons for having the fert strip on top is it tends to by dryer there. The idea is to protect the strip from water which may cause it to leech into the water resivour and be depleated earlier in the season. Of course in any containers, if using synthetics the instruction is generally to add at the top, I assume to avoid root burn and again, to keep it available to the plant as long as possible.

I switched this year from organics in my EBs to a blended 10-10-10 by Lily Miller. When I had organics it was more common for me to mix at least some into the entire box. One of the many problems I experienced is with 3 plus cups of organics your growing medium gets to muck a lot quicker.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2013   #5
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
Also, I have unlimited supply of limestone cuttings from well drilling. Can I use these instead of agricultural lime? The cuttings are much coarser. I can sift out sand size limestone but nothing is as fine as the dust you buy at the store. Under a hand lense the individual particles look very porus.
The size of the particles is important in how quickly they react with the acids in the soil. Remember making the particles half the size doubles the surface area.
This site gives information about how quickly various sieve sizes of lime react.
http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/forglvst/valuelime.htm
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2013   #6
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
I think one of the reasons for having the fert strip on top is it tends to by dryer there. The idea is to protect the strip from water which may cause it to leech into the water resivour and be depleated earlier in the season. Of course in any containers, if using synthetics the instruction is generally to add at the top, I assume to avoid root burn and again, to keep it available to the plant as long as possible.

I switched this year from organics in my EBs to a blended 10-10-10 by Lily Miller. When I had organics it was more common for me to mix at least some into the entire box. One of the many problems I experienced is with 3 plus cups of organics your growing medium gets to muck a lot quicker.
Linda,
How happy are you with the Lily Miller? I think I am kicking Tomato Tone to the curb. I probably have enough left for one container, and I was going to try the Fox Farm. Also figured I would try out at least one container of synthetic as well just to see the difference.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2013   #7
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

So far so good with the Lily Miller and great for the price. I am getting a 10Lb bag of their blended line, which is green something for ten dollars at Lowes. I plan to use my existing TomatoTone in the dirt and also in conjuction with other ferts in my EarthBoxes.
Old February 13, 2013   #8
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I can get it local which is always a plus.
Old February 13, 2013   #9
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

James - Try it - you'll like it!!! lol. I'm getting to be the poster girl for synthetics in containers. Have another thread going right now. I find it cheaper, easier and based on production last fall, a much better yeild. I think it is entirely possible but certainly more challenging to grow well in containers using organic ferts.
Old February 13, 2013   #10
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

I will let you know!
Old March 12, 2013   #11
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

You wouldnt be SPAMMING us would you GrowKing?
Old March 12, 2013   #12
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Linda,
I do like fried SPAM on toast.....

Haven't been able to get my hands on Lily Miller yet. My local Lowe's can't seem to get out of their own way.