Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 8, 2016   #31
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Rocotos are hard to germinate. It takes at least three weeks and some times longer. The last time I planted I soaked some overnight in buttermilk, some in water and did scarification on some. The ones soaked in water did the best, buttermilk was 2nd and almost none of the one I did scarification on germinated. I do use a seed heat mat but I use that for all peppers. With rocotos if you get 50% germination you are doing well.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2016   #32
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Rocotos are hard to germinate. It takes at least three weeks and some times longer. The last time I planted I soaked some overnight in buttermilk, some in water and did scarification on some. The ones soaked in water did the best, buttermilk was 2nd and almost none of the one I did scarification on germinated. I do use a seed heat mat but I use that for all peppers. With rocotos if you get 50% germination you are doing well.
Ok i remember you mentioning that now on the Florida thread but I had forgotten the details. I have a heat matt now that i didnt have before so i will try the water soaking, and heat matt method and give them more time. I dont think i waited three weeks even before.

Thanks,

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2016   #33
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Anything that will produce. I had one plant in the garden last year (Orange Bell), 17 flowers, 1 pepper harvested.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2016   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Anything that will produce. I had one plant in the garden last year (Orange Bell), 17 flowers, 1 pepper harvested.
To &^%( with Bell Peppers.
I get the darn things they say giant or what ever and they are always scrubby little things.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2016   #35
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I have read some discussions that say elephant ears and donkey ears are the same pepper. I'm growing elephant ears this year and anxious to try it. Also Numex Heritage 6-4.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2016   #36
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
I have read some discussions that say elephant ears and donkey ears are the same pepper. I'm growing elephant ears this year and anxious to try it. Also Numex Heritage 6-4.
I was wondering about that... :-)

Ginny

Old January 9, 2016   #37
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

My wimpy pepper harvest. My peppers were doing so well, but not liking this cold wet weather right now.

Most are just seedlings though.

Ginny
Old January 9, 2016   #38
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I always had scrawny bell peppers too until I started growing Bullnose. I figured since Thomas Jefferson grew it that maybe it was worth a try. I will never grow another variety of bell pepper now that I found on that gets the right size.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2016   #39
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
It's not just you, I had the same experience last year; Orange Bell and Early Jalapeno were the only poor performers. Early Jalapeno had an excuse, since it had an exceptionally heavy aphid infestation... but Orange Bell, while healthy, set few peppers, and nearly all of those rotted before maturity. All of the other peppers (Beaver Dam, Greygo, Pizza, Melrose, Italian Cheese, Parker Pimento, Korean Dark Green, Pusztagold Paprika, PI 314008) had huge yields, some of my best ever. It just goes to show why I have pretty much given up on bells... Elephant Ear and some of the pimento peppers are much more reliable in my climate.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2016   #40
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'm taking Bell Peppers off of the chili list as far as I am concerned from now on they are not a pepper.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2016   #41
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Alex Popovich is the one who first sent me Slonovo Uvo pepper seeds. He translated it as Elephant's Ear and told me some people translate it as Donkey's Ear.

Ironically, I took a green pepper off of my Elephant's Ear plant this afternoon to slice up to use as a pizza topping. It's the first full size pepper I've taken from the plant out of my indoor garden this winter. Took a couple tiny ones off that were growing funny, but those don't count. Still have a few on my plant and will let them ripen up before harvesting.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2016   #42
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I'm looking forward to growing the now dubbed baby Aji Amarillo again that Fred distributed in late 2014. I grew 2 plants in a 5 gallon bucket last year and they did great. I loved the flavor and they were at a perfect heat level for my mouth. I've used them fresh on sandwiches, on pizza, in roasted tomatillo salsa, in soup, etc. At some point I might try them in a chile stout (I brew beer).

I've also ditched the bell peppers in favor of the mini snacking peppers. They are much more consistent and prolific and I like the flavor better on top of that.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2016   #43
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
I'm looking forward to growing the now dubbed baby Aji Amarillo again that Fred distributed in late 2014. I grew 2 plants in a 5 gallon bucket last year and they did great. I loved the flavor and they were at a perfect heat level for my mouth. I've used them fresh on sandwiches, on pizza, in roasted tomatillo salsa, in soup, etc. At some point I might try them in a chile stout (I brew beer).

I've also ditched the bell peppers in favor of the mini snacking peppers. They are much more consistent and prolific and I like the flavor better on top of that.

What is the difference between "baby Aji Amarillo" and the regular Aji Amarillo? I've been wanting to grow Aji Amarillo for some time.

You may have just added to my pepper list.

Already growing:

Brazilian Starfish
Aji Limon
Aji Pineapple
Red Savina
Carolina Reaper
Petite Marseilles
Melrose Sweet Pepper
Gernika
Malaysian Goronong

I picked up 4 types of space chili peppers and thought it may be interesting.

Has anyone grown space chili peppers?
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2016   #44
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post

Which snacking peppers do you grow?

Ginny

Old January 10, 2016   #45
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaJB View Post
Alex Popovich is the one who first sent me Slonovo Uvo pepper seeds. He translated it as Elephant's Ear and told me some people translate it as Donkey's Ear.

Ironically, I took a green pepper off of my Elephant's Ear plant this afternoon to slice up to use as a pizza topping. It's the first full size pepper I've taken from the plant out of my indoor garden this winter. Took a couple tiny ones off that were growing funny, but those don't count. Still have a few on my plant and will let them ripen up before harvesting.
Ok thanks for the info. I'm starting some elephant ears, rocoto, and my new tomato seeds today.

Ginny