Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old December 18, 2018   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Spider Plant Disease?

I'm not big on houseplant care, but I did bring home a few off the TLC rack yesterday. I had concerns about the health of this spider plant, but gave in. It doesn't seem as it was ever overly wet, but I don't know enough to rule fungal disease in or out.
Research shows this plant is overly sensitive to Fluoride. I don't know if Lowes uses filtered water.
Does this look like a fungal problem?
It is isolated in my bathroom No insects are visible with a scope. Only a few leaves have this brown stripe down the center of the leaf.
Thanks for any help!

- Lisa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6572.JPG (67.8 KB, 56 views)
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2018   #2
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

As far as I know spider plants are unkillable. As long as it has adequate light I bet it will outgrow whatever affected it.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2018   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I've rescued several of these and don't worry. Cut away all of the brown foliage and give it a very light dose of fertilizer. Water with rain water or even distilled if you still have concerns about the fluoride. I've always put regular tap water on great results.

Lowe's employees are not required to take a lot of care of the plants they sell. For a long time, it was hard to get them to even water them.

Put your plant(s) into a sunny window or add some lighting this time of year. They need time to recover from the stress that put them on the cheap shelf. Then after a couple of weeks of plenty of nutrients and adequate watering, you can make sure they get some sunlight each day. By springtime, you may see some new growth that may resemble a strawberry leader reaching out. When it seems to terminate in a new plant, get the roots of that new growth into some soil and it will become a new plant. After a while, it will begin sending out leaders and you can cut the first one. As you can see, propagation is as simple as making new strawberry plants by growing the runners.

Easy/Schmeasy. Hit me with any other questions.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2018   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I had one growing in the fork of a tree for years.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2018   #5
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Airplane plants

They are invasive here. Give it plenty of light for indoor growth. I agree they are hard to kill. Elephant ears are invasive too.

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1220181531.jpg (523.6 KB, 46 views)
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019   #6
shule1

I think those leaves are just dying. I don't think it's a disease. I wouldn't worry about it. It's possible that it was underwatered a while back and is just showing it now.
Old July 17, 2019   #7
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Mine is long gone, and it never achieved a full lush appearance. I believe you are spot on, shule1. I no longer buy TLC indoor plants at Lowes, but I do buy their outdoor reduced plants after careful inspection.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote