Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 13, 2019   #31
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
can I ask what kind of softener do you have that you can add too much salt? none of the ones I have ever seen used more than a preset amount of salt per cycle. leaving some salt in the water is normal but not enough to kill off the seedlings.
It's a Culligan which we have had for 15 years, I'd added 20 kilos (about 40 lbs) of salt, but the water was still hard so I added another 20K bag to the drum. I assumed it was that, because when I examined the potting soil with a magnifying glass, I could see salt crystals on the surface! It was odd though because I've always used softened water for my seedlings and had never had a problem before then.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2019   #32
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I just heard back from my friend in NC who lost a batch of seedlings. Apparently, she had left them outside overnight and temps dipped to 40F, plus it was windy, so maybe that was what done 'em in .

Linda
Old April 13, 2019   #33
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
I just heard back from my friend in NC who lost a batch of seedlings. Apparently, she had left them outside overnight and temps dipped to 40F, plus it was windy, so maybe that was what done 'em in .

Linda
That’ll do it alright. I also think “ user error” is often more of a factor than we like to admit.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2019   #34
bower
Tomatovillian™

Can't blame the potting mix when it gets down to 40 F and windy....
I didn't have a problem with seedlings but the greens I planted have been struggling a bit, 100% sure it is something wrong with the mix. Or possibly outright neglect. Or like oldman said, evil chain letter effect...
@oakley, the piccolo gato looks amazing! I have not started tomatoes yet! Super late, I just feel I am waiting for aphids to appear... saw my first ant today in the greenhouse. I may just plant extra extra late and put em outdoors, to spare myself the battle.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2019   #35
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Tomato seedlings that die from the top down, and growing tip turns brown then black, may be infected with Topocuvirus. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topocuvirus
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2019   #36
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I use softened water for my seedlings without a problem.

Water softeners add a minimal amount of salt to drinking water and the main reason that people do not use it for outdoor watering is to save wear and tear on the water softener as well as money on salt. It is not because the salt will hurt the plants. All of our outdoor faucets are fed with unsoftened water.

The amount of salt in your water is determined on how hard your water is and that determines how much salt is used to remove the hardness ions from the resin bed but even with really hard water the amount of residual salt in the drinking water is minimal. The softener only uses the salt that it needs and the amount of salt in the tank is immaterial.

Last edited by brownrexx; April 14, 2019 at 02:15 PM.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2019   #37
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your comments Brownrexx. I had been using softened water for years without any problems.

I guess it was the potting mix then. I had suspected it because it was "new" and had isolated it, re-potted everything and flushed each pot with rainwater. The seedlings that hadn't been killed all survived .

Linda
Old April 14, 2019   #38
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I definitely don't think that you killed them with salt Labradors2.

I don't know what potting mix that you used but I always start mine in a soiless potting mix that contains no fertilizer and then I water them with half strength fertilizer after they get their first true leaves.

I think that some regular potting mixes may have too much fertilizer and that can be too strong for tender seedlings. Or there is always the theory that the manufacturer added too much fertilizer to the mix by accident. Too much fertilizer can definitely be toxic.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2019   #39
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
I definitely don't think that you killed them with salt Labradors2.

I don't know what potting mix that you used but I always start mine in a soiless potting mix that contains no fertilizer and then I water them with half strength fertilizer after they get their first true leaves.

I think that some regular potting mixes may have too much fertilizer and that can be too strong for tender seedlings. Or there is always the theory that the manufacturer added too much fertilizer to the mix by accident. Too much fertilizer can definitely be toxic.
I think you hit the nail on the head! I had run out of my previous mix (which actually had some added fert, but my seedlings did really well on it). I had some Pro-mix for herbs and veggies left over from the previous season and I used that for my seedlings. I guess I won't make that mistake again!

Thanks,

Linda
Old April 14, 2019   #40
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

My PromixBX has no fertilizer. Only peat, perlite, vermiculite, dolomite, and mycorrhizae. The freshness off The Promix could make a difference, a lot can get in there and grow from the time of last season. Fungus gnats is one thing that could happen. The larvae eat tiny tomato roots.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2019   #41
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Marsha. I'm using PromixHP for seed starting. (Apparently it has more perlite than BX). I'll look for the BX for next time.

I've encountered fungus gnats before. I have a feeling they are more likely to appear in bags that have been left outside in the rain, so I try to buy bags that have been housed inside.

Linda
Old April 21, 2019   #42
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I had a total disaster with my seedlings this year. I use my own mix of peat perlite and vermiculite with just a little bit of a slow release pearled fert. I sanitized my starting chamber with a peroxide spray a couple of days before seeding. I added a fan on low as when the heater gets to temp and shuts down there is no air movement. Everything started out well. Good germination on most seeds. Got lights on them. Seedlings seemed to be doing well for over 2 weeks. Then suddenly some started falling over. Didn't seem like damp-off exactly. And I was alternating bottom soaking about every 4-5 days with daily spray watering with just water with some peroxide added. 1 pint to 2 gal water. Most were my own saved seeds that I bleach rinse before drying.

Last year I had some die before I started adding peroxide so this year added it from the start. Now I lost more than last year. I can't figure out what I did wrong other than I couldn't get them out to the greenhouse as soon as germinated because of late weather issues. But when we did get them out they continued to die.

Did I use too much perxodide and dry them out ?? or what ??

I'm not going to have much for market sales this year and not knowing why is driving me crazy.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2019   #43
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

So you are saying you watered every time with a mixture of 16:1 peroxide water?

If so I think this is way over doing it.
You just need to mist the soil with a spray bottle every now and then, not water with it.
The vermiculite may be a factor too but no expert on the subject.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2019   #44
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Have you tested the PH of the mix? Maybe it is too acidic?
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2019   #45
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

No I haven't tested the ph but this is the same mix I've used successfully for 30 years.

I was wondering if I was doing the peroxide too much. But last year I was doing too little and lost a lot. but this year is way worse. I guess I'll have to find some mid point.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote