Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 11, 2020   #31
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

For me, Heidi is more of a paste tomato, while Juliet is juicier, and tastier uncooked. Also, Heidi fruit are a bit bigger, more Roma-like. Juliets I call two-bite cherry sized. Johnny's last year had Verona, which gave Juliets a run for their money - very similar in size, shape, and texture. Not identical, but similar.
Old January 11, 2020   #32
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

My 2 cents is Rio Grande is the best all around paste for my climate of the ones I've grown.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2020   #33
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Heidi is one awesome and prolific paste tomato. Great sauce, great halved and roasted, and great eating fresh. What more could you want?
Plant a couple of these and you will be inundated with buckets of tomatoes once they get started producing.
I suppose everyone has a different opinion on taste. Like I said I grow Juliet only in the fall because they produce a ton of tomatoes when no other variety compares to Juliet for production in the fall season. The taste is only so-so, but what the heck........they are tomatoes after all, and they do make ok sauce. I also eat them in a salad, and once again they are ok. I was hoping that Heidi might be a better tasting tomato than Juliet. I will grow Heidi for sauce, but I was hoping they might be ok in a salad also. This spring I will grow Cherokee Purple, Kosovo, Stump of The World, Earl, Brandywine Suddeth, San Marzano, Opalaka, and maybe Heidi (I ordered the seeds)......

Please tell me about Santa Maria. I have some seeds, but I have never grown them before. My wife's maiden name is Santa Maria, and I ordered some seeds 2 or 3 years ago, but I have never grown them.
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2020   #34
BakedIn
Tomatovillian™

Opalka is one of my favorite tomatoes, although there are off years, so I never put all my eggs in that basket for paste. Never don't grow it though because when it's on, it's on and nothing better. Great flavor and as someone mentioned in those on years they are big and prolific.
San Marzano never does much for me. The seeds I obtained for those were those really cheap packs at Wal. Diseases easily for me, fruits small and full of ber. I've quit growing it out of fear it's a super carrier for disease lol.
BakedIn is offline   Reply With Quote