Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 1, 2020   #46
smithmal
Tomatovillian™

Bump on thread. What early varieties is everyone growing in 2020?

I've grown Stupice, Kimberly, Sophie's Choice and Azoychka. Have not tried Marion. Read from a seed source that maturity is 75 days which I do not consider "early."

Looking for good recommendations @ 50 to 60 days.
smithmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2020   #47
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I don't really grow "early" varieties any more because I find that the taste is usually lacking. Instead, I grow some "compact" varieties and start them in mid-Feb. I can put their 3-gallon pots outside on lovely days and bring them in at night. Last season, the best tasting was Malia Rosa, which gave me fruit from mid-June until early December (I brought the plant inside when frost struck!). The taste was amazing all season long and, to my mind, it was as good as any of the other 20+ varieties that I grew! Normally, I find that Blush tastes better once the weather really warms up, but MR held her own and I'll be growing more this year!
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2020   #48
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

The two I've settled on for this year are Moskvich and Sleeping Lady Dwarf. They've done well, have great flavor, and fall in the 60-ish DTM range.

I had gotten seed a couple of years ago for Mat-Su Express but they were not from the line that Mark was pursuing. They were early but grew small, ping pong ball sized and very tasty tomatoes unfortunately with extreme scarring at the blossom end so I've discarded them. If/when Mark finalizes Mat-Su Express and makes seeds available I hope to give it another try.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2020   #49
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithmal View Post
Sasha's Altai (from Tatiana's seed) is one to consider. Very early, good sized tasty fruit, and her seed produces the proper determinate plants. I seem to recall that Tatiana's seed was donated by AKMark. Some sellers are flogging an indeterminate version of Sasha's which I have grown and believe is just a NA Stupice rip off.

Last edited by RJGlew; January 3, 2020 at 02:04 PM.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2020   #50
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

I had "Marion" 2012 in cultivation.

[/url]

[/url]

1/2 pound, red, 70 days, very good taste sugar and acid in balance, did not crack,
the plant was not in the greenhouse, it was in a 2 gallon pot in the garden
asmx91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2020   #51
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

My earliest tomato is "Juni" 45 days, good taste (for an early tomato), 45 cm - I got it from Russia

[/url]
asmx91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2020   #52
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithmal View Post
Bump on thread. What early varieties is everyone growing in 2020?

I've grown Stupice, Kimberly, Sophie's Choice and Azoychka. Have not tried Marion. Read from a seed source that maturity is 75 days which I do not consider "early."

I've only found one great tasting tomato in all my searching, other than SunGold, that (in near perfect conditions) matures in under 60 days; Pervaya Lyubov.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2020   #53
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

I have been away from gardening for about 8 years...but my favorite early tomato, bar none, was Kotlas. It had the flavor of later, larger varieties and was reliable.

I'm sure seed savers and enthusiast sites offer it.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old March 14, 2020   #54
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyolf View Post
...but my favorite early tomato, bar none, was Kotlas. It had the flavor of later, larger varieties and was reliable.
Imho, Kotlas is simply a Stupické Polní Rané rip off. I do agreed that it is a very good tomato, but in my side by side grow offs with SPR there are no significant differences.

You might now consider 0-33 which is a new (to North America) early Russian determinate that became available here in 2015 thanks to Tatiana. It is now my go to red determinate (Zone 3a).

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki...b=General_Info
Old March 14, 2020   #55
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
Imho, Kotlas is simply a Stupické Polní Rané rip off. I do agreed that it is a very good tomato, but in my side by side grow offs with SPR there are no significant differences.

You might now consider 0-33 which is a new (to North America) early Russian determinate that became available here in 2015 thanks to Tatiana. It is now my go to red determinate (Zone 3a).

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki...b=General_Info
Thanks, I may.
As I said, I have been away from the garden since summer 2011.

Is this variety similar to Stupice? I have modest success with determinates...we're on the apex of what some call "tornado alley"...meaning that weather systems from farther south drop their humidity (and spores) off here, leaving Septoria and Alternaria June through August. Older, less-resistant determinates give us one ripe tomatoe then gasp and swoon like cartoon characters.

Kotlas, with Potato Leaves, seems to put up a good fight before the fungus kills it.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old March 15, 2020   #56
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyolf View Post
Thanks, I may.

Is this variety similar to Stupice? I have modest success with determinates...we're on the apex of what some call "tornado alley"...meaning that weather systems from farther south drop their humidity (and spores) off here, leaving Septoria and Alternaria June through August. Older, less-resistant determinates give us one ripe tomatoe then gasp and swoon like cartoon characters.
Here are links to the 2 varieties I identified:
Stupické Polní Rané
Saraev O-33

I am not in tornado alley, but unfortunately in the North American hail belt. For me, Saraev 0-33 is the best early determinate I have grown and now makes up the bulk of the determinate plantings I grow for sauce. AKMark (Alaska) also likes it outdoors, and has posted various pictures on TV. I can't comment about Septoria and Alternaria specifically, but I can say my Saraev 0-33 are always killed by frost, not by disease. Saraev Druzhnya is quite simiar to 0-33 in size, but for me ends up with concentric cracks. Tatiana brough the Saraev series to North America a few years ago. Important note: Contrary to what is rumoured about Saraev's being frost tolerant, a couple of years ago Vladimir proved this is NOT the case.

Shown below are my cumulative records for these 2 varieties. DTM is interesting since in my experience, Stupické ripens the biggest fruit first, then the rest are smaller, while 0-33 often ripens one or two small fruit first so they come a few days earlier. I no longer grow any NA Stupice - just the CZ Stupické originals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (23.6 KB, 84 views)