Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old April 16, 2012   #1
roherb
Tomatovillian™

Default Coir pots vs. plastic

Last rear I used coir pots that I purchase from Griffens greenhouse supply to sell my tomato plants at the local farmers markets I sell at.

The coir pot is just a bit more costly than plastic containers, but environmentally better. They are bio-degradable and also provide nutrients like zinc, magnesium, copper and iron, all beneficial to healthy plant growth, and its high resistance to mold-great for greenhouse growing.

This was a big seller at the market, many liked the idea of the coir pot and how they could just plant the entire thing right in the ground.

Has anyone else used these containers? I really like them and they look great at Market Stand.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wk5FEIdJzx...r+2011+145.JPG
roherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012   #2
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

roherb,

I would never use them for personal use, but they are a great selling point. The big box stores have made them popular.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012   #3
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Default Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
roherb,

I would never use them for personal use, but they are a great selling point. The big box stores have made them popular.

Steve
Just wondering why. I never used them myself but was considering it. Are they too expensive? Don't work well?
Old August 6, 2012   #4
Fatal_Franklin
Tomatovillian™

Anyone who has a decorative hanging basket with coconut fiber lining can tell u they dry up fast. I tried some in my garden center last year....strawberries and tomatos we're planted in 4" coir pots. The top edge of the pot frays and falls apart. They dry out quickly and require watering more frequently. But they grow nice sturdy plants! If you're willing to deal with the extra labor grow directly in them...if you are using them as speacial "packaging" for increasing sales, grow your plants in plastic pots and pop them in a coir before you go to market.
Fatal_Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2012   #5
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roherb View Post
Has anyone else used these containers? I really like them and they look great at Market Stand.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wk5FEIdJzx...r+2011+145.JPG

Yes I did for the last 2 years ago, but many customers did not want to pay the different for the pots. Cowpots are the best pots for heirloom Plants.

Farmer Joyce Beggs
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2012   #6
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal_Franklin View Post
Anyone who has a decorative hanging basket with coconut fiber lining can tell u they dry up fast. I tried some in my garden center last year....strawberries and tomatos we're planted in 4" coir pots. The top edge of the pot frays and falls apart. They dry out quickly and require watering more frequently. But they grow nice sturdy plants! If you're willing to deal with the extra labor grow directly in them...if you are using them as speacial "packaging" for increasing sales, grow your plants in plastic pots and pop them in a coir before you go to market.

I did this system this year for customers who wanted to buy the pots for extra. Did not work out for me to cover the extra cost, but it's the best way for my customers too successfully grow an Heirloom Plant withoout problems.

Farmer Joyce Beggs
Old October 24, 2012   #7
psa
Tomatovillian™

In my trials, the plants in coir pots grew slower and smaller than those grown in my plastic sheet pots. In addition, they required more water, frayed very badly at the top, and failed to degrade at all if planted, actively impeding root growth, but tore the roots up when removed.

Cow pots haven't been well received by my customers because by the time the plants are ready for market the pots look pretty bad and are not very finger friendly. The plants seem to like them, though.
psa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2012   #8
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by psa View Post
In my trials, the plants in coir pots grew slower and smaller than those grown in my plastic sheet pots. In addition, they required more water, frayed very badly at the top, and failed to degrade at all if planted, actively impeding root growth, but tore the roots up when removed.

Cow pots haven't been well received by my customers because by the time the plants are ready for market the pots look pretty bad and are not very finger friendly. The plants seem to like them, though.
I know that cowpots are not pretty looking when growing, but the Heirloom Plants grow better in them. But, I have stop selling my heirloom plants with the Cow pots. Some do not want to pay the extra cost. I guess I was just trying to education my customers of the "pure cowpots. There is many ways to use the cowpots, but I just cannot write it all down here.

Stay safe in this Hurricane everyone.
Old October 27, 2012   #9
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

They look nice so for selling plants at market, I can see using them but I think they would dry out easily and would be fragile in transport? do you place them in plastic trys to carry and move around? That sort of defeats the environmental purpose if you need to place them in plastic trays to prevent damage and to carry them I think. I have purchased plants in them and I always remove the coir pot and compost it as I do not find they break down quickly enough and the roots do not go through them well at all at least in my garden. For my personal use, I re-use my plastic ones and save them from year to year. Just my opinion.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2012   #10
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I invested quite a bit of money in coir pots for starting transplants, and I too had snagged roots galore. Rather than throw them away, I shredded them up and used them for decorative mulch on outdoor planters. Worked great at keeping the potting soil from drying out on top, and they last for more than one season. For market, maybe you could use cups as the others do and top them off with straw or coir for a crafty look, then instruct/encourage the buyer to use it as mulch. Trying to thing of a more environmentally friendly solution ,,,
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2012   #11
riceke
Tomatovillian™

KarenO...what is that humongous thing your holding in your hand on your profie pic? That's what I want!
Old November 5, 2012   #12
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Roherb,

Several years ago I started half my plants in 4" plastic and the other half on coir. At that time I was selling about 700 plants a year, and planting 300. I was surprised to find that the plastics grew faster, but the coirs sold faster. I noticed that people would rather have a 9" plant in coir rather than a 12" plant in plastic.

The black plastic definitely keeps the soil and roots warmer, and the coir dries faster. But if I was still selling plants I would go with the coir and start my germination a week earlier.

-Mike
MikeInOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2012   #13
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOhio View Post
Roherb,

Several years ago I started half my plants in 4" plastic and the other half on coir. At that time I was selling about 700 plants a year, and planting 300. I was surprised to find that the plastics grew faster, but the coirs sold faster. I noticed that people would rather have a 9" plant in coir rather than a 12" plant in plastic.

The black plastic definitely keeps the soil and roots warmer, and the coir dries faster. But if I was still selling plants I would go with the coir and start my germination a week earlier.

-Mike
Does anyone use homemade recycled newspaper pots? I never sold seedlings at market, but that surely is the most economical and easiest way to do seedlings I have ever found.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coir , coir pots