Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old December 26, 2014   #1
jahwarrior1423
Tomatovillian™

Default Time to start pepper seeds

When should I start my pepper seeds indoors here in AZ?...
jahwarrior1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Im in about the same zone as you and i will be starting mine in the beggining of january with a plant out sometime in march. Peppers take longer than tomatoes to both germinate and grow.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #3
jahwarrior1423
Tomatovillian™

Cool thank you. I was estimating January. Already prepared...just waiting now
Old December 26, 2014   #4
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I have already started seeding peppers. In my experience they do not grow as robustly as tomato seedlings so earlier is fine. A few dwarf tomatoes are just now coming up but I usually start most of my tomatoes during January, plant out mid to late March into April.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #5
geoffrey44
Tomatovillian™

I find that while tomatoes germinate quite happily at around 20c chillies need it a bit hjgher ...some of them to around 30c...therefor supplementary heating usually required.I am in cool area in the southern hemisphere but I would go along with Linda above allowing for the 6 month timing difference...
As an added complication I finf some varieties eg cayenne,jalapeno,most birdseye types will germinate at lower temps than some of the more exotics...the 7pod and scorpions for example...habaneros seem to be easy going fellows...about 25c seems to suit them
geoffrey44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #6
peppero
Tomatovillian™

I started 14 varieties of pepper yesterday and 2 more today. Our season has been getting an earlier start. An earlier start worked fine last year.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #7
JJJessee
Tomatovillian™

Most C. annums do pretty good on 5-6 weeks, maybe plus a week to germinate. Poblanos maybe a week or two more.
C. chinense about 7-8 weeks plus 2 weeks to germinate.
I already have some C. pubesense, Yellow Manzano, with 5 pair of true leaves. It is a long, long season pepper, but worth the wait. I'm zone 6a with a little elevation, so I don't plant out before May 10th unless the ten-day looks extra warm.
JJJessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I'm going to start the 6 varieties I currently have on January 1 here in zone 8A. One other variety won't be ready to start until around January 14 because it is drying.

There will be varieties in my MMMM pack that I will start the day I get them. Then there are varieties I want to order from Bakers Creek if I don't get them from the MMMM mailing. Bakers Creek varieties I want to grow are:

Shi-shi-to, Paradicsom Alaku Sarga Szentes, Arroz Con Pollo, Ostra-Cyklon, and Black Hungarian. They'll get started the day I receive the seeds.

Now, I need to find a heat mat.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2014   #9
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

I have Carolina Reaper seeds that I will be starting in approx. a week from now. My pant out date is usually the first week in May here in eastern PA.
Old January 3, 2015   #10
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

I'm using the guest beds electric blanket. I also am trying the Wintersown method. We'll see how everything works out.
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2015   #11
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Mine are already in the tray - I find that the superhots can take weeks to germinate.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2015   #12
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppero View Post
I started 14 varieties of pepper yesterday and 2 more today. Our season has been getting an earlier start. An earlier start worked fine last year.

jon
Two santa fe grandes and two chervena chuska popped up yesterday. Nice way to spark your interest.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2015   #13
jahwarrior1423
Tomatovillian™

I got around starting some seeds yesterday...hope I am not too late. Started chiletepins, Carolina reaper and jalapeños.

I'm new to gardening but have started things from seeds...I find the enjoyment in starting it from seed.

I planted several of each variety...but I am doing a small experiment by seeing which growing media starts the seeds off best. I started with 5oz cups: a few cups I only used fox farm warrior, other cups I tried small amount of fox farm ocean on the bottom of the cup then filled the rest with warrior (thinking the ocean would "feed" the plant when the roots grew to that bottom of the cup), other cups I filled the bottom with ocean and then put warrior in and mixed the middle up together then added warrior to fill the cup (thinking that the mix between May help with the transition between soils), then other cups I mixed 50/50 of ocean and warrior, and finally I am trying 100% ocean in the last of the cups.

All the cups I covered with clinq wrap. But am not using a heating pad. Most placed by a south facing window. Small amount are below a CFL grow light.
Old January 5, 2015   #14
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

first Brain Strains of the year popped up this morning- only 348 chinensis to go from this planting. will start everything else in a few weeks.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2015   #15
jahwarrior1423
Tomatovillian™

My Carolina reaper, jalapeños and chiletepins all sprouted within a week of planting. The plants in my ghetto humidity dome under a 6500k shop light sprouted...the plants in another ghetto humidity dome by a south facing window still have not sprouted.

A small concern though, 2 of the Carolina reapers sprouted with the seed still on the leaves...so I tried being careful and taking the seeds off. Well, one of them I ripped off 1 of 2 leaves and the other I ripped off all leaves so it's just a stem. Will the still grow and be salvageable?