Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 23, 2018   #1
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Default Searting seeds my way !

I don't have a warmer to go beneath the seeds and I don't have overhead lights. Since my longhaired calico of 15 years died recently, I resorted to her fairly new, deep and large, plastic cat box that was always kept spotless and full of cedar. I cleaned it with Clorox, then filled it with Jiffy Mix seed starter soil to a depth of four inches. Then, I add. I then added half a gallon of very hot water.

Next, I carefully plotted the rows and marked each with plastic row markers. After carefully spacing the seeds in, I covered it all with a white plastic garbage bag and pulled the end tight. I kept the whole planter inside next to a heater for three days. Then, the outside temperature rose to into the eighties with plenty of sunlight.

The seedlings have been on the front porch for several days inside the trash bag. With it so warm today, I peeked inside and was amazed to find virtually every seed sprouted and about an inch tall. They are in indirect sunlight now. Later, I will move them to full sun...after they have adjusted. Total cost; around eight dollars. When living on a very tight fixed budget, you just have to make do sometimes.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #2
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

You gotta do what works for you, I'm glad they all sprouted. I hope you took the bag off and you can leave them in full sun and not worry about them besides keeping them watered. They adapt to the sun easier when just sprouted than any other time.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #3
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

I have one of those warmer things but have found that watering the soil with warm water works almost as well... Doing things your own way and having it work out is very satisfying.
rhoder551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #4
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Sorry for your loss of your family member. Best wishes for good life coming from the box.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #5
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
You gotta do what works for you, I'm glad they all sprouted. I hope you took the bag off and you can leave them in full sun and not worry about them besides keeping them watered. They adapt to the sun easier when just sprouted than any other time.
I have always thought that seedlings need to be introduced to the full sun over time to prevent sun scalding. Maybe I've been taught wrong.
Old February 23, 2018   #6
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

NOPE, I start mine inside and they go straight to the greenhouse when a few are sprouted. No hardening off is needed. These seeds grow as volunteers in full sun. It's natural but if you grow them inside then yes you need to harden them off.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #7
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
I have always thought that seedlings need to be introduced to the full sun over time to prevent sun scalding. Maybe I've been taught wrong.
Yes, what Rajun said- that's one of the great things about being able to start seedlings when the weather is nice enough for them to be outside, at least during the day...no supplementary light really needed, no fan, no hardening off...

Sorry about your kitty- so hard losing pets.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018   #8
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Glad you're putting your kitty's box to good use. I didn't hear you mention drainage. Did you poke a hole or two in the bottom?
Old February 24, 2018   #9
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Probably a good idea. Thanks!

From my Alzheimer's I can't remember when to first fertilize to boost sturdy plants ... or what would be the best alternative to miraclegro that can't harm the young plants and is affordable.

Heck, nowadays it takes forever to type entries here and then correct them a few times
Old February 24, 2018   #10
kath
Tomatovillian™

If you already have Miracle Grow, you can use that 1/2 strength when they have a couple sets of true leaves. Some people don't feed at all until well after they're transplanted into the garden. Keep it simple.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018   #11
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

After the many times I have come back to this post, I just noticed the mistake in the title which should have been "Starting". Guess it is what it is, my fingers do well now to find the correct letters.

Thanks for your suggestion. You are probably right, and I don't want to risk damaging these. Maybe later I can cut the Miracle-Gro.

Have a blessed week next week!
Old February 25, 2018   #12
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Hi
I know it sounds " redneck", but I've put my seeds in the spare bedroom,with the electric blanket on....worked fine!
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2018   #13
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Dang, that's beautiful! Wish I'd thought of it....
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2018   #14
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I agree with every single word of this post.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote