Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 8, 2009   #16
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Lemon Drop plants generally get about 2 feet tall, but they're bushy plants. I use the peppers in stir fries, pico de gallo, and salsas to brighten the flavors, and they're wonderful with fish, just add a little basil. I also make poppers out of them.

Which aji peppers were you interested in?
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2009   #17
Bobbisox
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueaussi View Post
Lemon Drop plants generally get about 2 feet tall, but they're bushy plants. I use the peppers in stir fries, pico de gallo, and salsas to brighten the flavors, and they're wonderful with fish, just add a little basil. I also make poppers out of them.

I think my aji seeds are aji amarillo.
Old July 9, 2009   #18
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Aji Amarillo gets pretty tall, doesn't it? I love baccatuums, but I only grew that one once, and I do seem to remember it got tall rather than wide. I'll have to check my notes.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2009   #19
Bobbisox
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueaussi View Post

When you make poppers, what do you stuff them with, and is there a breading? I imagine they are so hot you must have a mild sauce to dip them in? I hadn't considered using them for poppers, thanks for the idea.
Old July 12, 2009   #20
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I have grown variety of C. baccatums. Most get quite tall, if planted in the garden soil. When growing them in Wisconsin, I got some ripe from the garden before first frost, with a ton of green fruits when the season ended. In your climate you should get ripe ones easily. I overwintered some of the plants in pots and found out that second season I got smaller plants with earlier harvest.

Now I am growing all my Ajis indoors as houseplants. With low light the plants get leggy and I have tied the long stems as loops. I will be trying to overwinter them to see if they grow more bushy next season.

I have got one ripe Aji Cristal and second is ripening. Lemon Drop has set three fruits so far.