Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old May 13, 2010   #31
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the ideas. The tulle is something I've been considering to use as a squirrel netting. Definitely planning on doing something to combat them.

As for the dog(s), actually had to take my mother's 11 year old female Lab to the animal hospital and have her put down a couple of months ago. The poor dog went suddenly lame in one back leg, then later the other. She was actually the last puppy I had left in a litter my two labs had in late '98. Gave her to my mother and step-father before I left for Puerto Rico back in early '99. She was great company for them. One of the hardest things I've ever had to do was drive that dog to the animal hospital knowing my mother was watching me drive her away. Sad day. She said she could never have another dog because it's too hard to lose them. Not the first one she had to have put to sleep.

That dog though did chase the rabbits away when she was out there but wasn't in that part of the yard often enough for the squirrels to be too concerned. I'll miss 'Sammie' this spring as I put the compost, soil, and seedlings in. She was always getting in the way somehow. Once in awhile I got a little perturbed about it, but now wishing she was there to get in my way this coming weekend. Such is life.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010   #32
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

I feel your pain, I lost my dog 3 weeks ago. I miss her, she always was there to help in her own way and was very good at chasing rabbits, deers and squirrels. Actually she killed a squirrel the day before she died. It will be a long time before I stop missing her when I walk out the door to spend time outside. She was the best.

sorry about your loss,

Neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010   #33
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie babe View Post
I feel your pain, I lost my dog 3 weeks ago. I miss her, she always was there to help in her own way and was very good at chasing rabbits, deers and squirrels. Actually she killed a squirrel the day before she died. It will be a long time before I stop missing her when I walk out the door to spend time outside. She was the best.

sorry about your loss,

Neva
Likewise, Neva. Pets become part of the family in their own way, so it's tough to lose them. Tough enough my mother said she doesn't want another dog because of how hard it is having one put down.

Yesterday while putting my garden in over at her house I have to admit not thinking too much of Sammie not being there, only because of how much work I had to do. A couple of times it crossed my mind briefly, but that was it.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote