Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 19, 2011   #16
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

This is a photo of one my Italian Striped fruits. I really can't say for sure, but I don't remember the Indian Stripe I grew as having such a distinct stripe or the fruit being this red.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Italian Stripes.jpg (117.8 KB, 94 views)
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2011   #17
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Not remotely like Indian Stripe - this is something quite different.
Old September 20, 2011   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygreg View Post
This is a photo of one my Italian Striped fruits. I really can't say for sure, but I don't remember the Indian Stripe I grew as having such a distinct stripe or the fruit being this red.
Gary, I've seen pictures that look like what you show, definitely not Indian Stripe, but I can't remember where right now. Possibly Territorial either now or a couple of years ago? But I've never seen the name Italian Striped before, so I keep wondering about that name.
Old September 20, 2011   #19
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

I searched and searched last year for information for Italian Striped and Tatitana contacted Geza, who did not remember where he might have gotten it. It is listed on Geza's list as Italian Striped. I rec'ed mine from Beth who rec'd it from Geza in a trade and she shared from that trade with me not having grown it out herself. I posted three pics but each time I post the new one, the old one leaves.. am I doing some wrong when posting.. why can't I have all three thumbnails side by side?? Patty
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2011   #20
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Not remotely like Indian Stripe - this is something quite different.
Yes, Indian Stripe is a green flesh (gf) tomato, and Italian Stripe is a green stripe (gs) tomato. Two different genes at work, one of which more often expresses stripes. One similarity seems to be their first names both start with I and end with ian, and have Stripe appended afterwards.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2011   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I just checked out Territorial and what I saw is not listed for this year.

In a post to Tania in the Kardia Karpos thread I just asked if she could stop by here and take a look at the picture herself and hopefully read from post #1 onward to see if she recognizes it.

Doubting Carolyn still remains doubtful.
Old September 20, 2011   #22
Tania
Tomatovillian™

It does look similar to Chocolate Stripes tomato (introduced to SSE by Al Anderson of Ohio) - http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Chocolate_Stripes

I am just going through the Territorial Seeds catalog, and I have not yet seen anything similar in color/shape.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2011   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
It does look similar to Chocolate Stripes tomato (introduced to SSE by Al Anderson of Ohio) - http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Chocolate_Stripes

I am just going through the Territorial Seeds catalog, and I have not yet seen anything similar in color/shape.
I know, I posted just above you and said that I too had checked it out and it wasn't there now.
Old September 20, 2011   #24
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

I am growing both Chocolate Stripes and Italian Striped this year. The fruits do look similar, but generally the IS fruits are slightly larger. In addition, although the IS has good production, CS is much more productive and as mentioned earlier the CS plant is much larger - 2-3 ft larger. This is based on one plant of each variety, so take it for what it is worth.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2023   #25
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Let's bump this old thread!

Has anyone in these years grown Bill Jeffers' Flathead Indian?

I have seeds and am going to try to rejuvenate them for this season. I was hoping for a picture?

Heide
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote