Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 27, 2016   #16
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

The only red cherry I found was the Sakara mentioned above. Maybe the site I was on needs to be updated. Clearly Park has put its own name on it so I guess somehow one would have to contact the company Enza Zaden in Holland to see if they can help out. I'll try to get back to that link and post it.
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2016   #17
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

Here is a link to their tomato varieties for the US. http://www.enzazaden.us/products/fruitvegets/tomato/ The only other red cherry I find is for the Greenhouse called Tomagino.
Old July 27, 2016   #18
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
I have the UBX and Sungold growing now for comparison. I'm hoping the UBX will turn out good enough so I never have to buy Sungold again (tall order).

I have Nectar F3 seeds, I will grow them next year. I have too many seeds, I think I have 50+ variety that I will be busy growing next few years without having to buy anything else. I can send you some if you want.
Good Luck! I know several gardeners/farmers wish the same but until someone does I will keep growing Sungold. A few vendors grew others this year as replacements and they haven't been received well.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2016   #19
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Not sure why almost everyone refers to it like Park's Nectar. It's bred by Enza Zaden in NL, and everything they make is at least a great producer (usually in the top), so I assume this one must be too.
The Park's Nectar seed source is from Germany, however, I do see some German presence for Enza Zaden.

Last edited by RJGlew; July 28, 2016 at 02:55 AM.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2016   #20
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Cheapest places you can get seeds in Europe is here: http://www.simpsonsseeds.co.uk/acata...-S_TOM189.html
or here in more bulk: http://www.wholesale.molesseeds.co.u...-nectar-VTO355
They are both good companies, not sure if they send abroad though, I bought stuff when I was in UK. For some reason seeds are way cheaper in UK than Germany or other countries.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2016   #21
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

I found this link in Germany that offers the Nectar (Cherrytomate Nectar F1). Later I will contact them to see where they sell their packages. My husband visits Germany every year so maybe can find them for me. Possibly this company can be found by an importer here as well. They do not appear to ship retail to the US. https://shop.nebelung.de/cherrytomate-nectar-f1.html
Old July 28, 2016   #22
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Kiepenkerl is a pretty big seed packing company here, possibly the biggest, so I'm sure you will manage to get some in Germany, from that site or others (including ebay), possibly also in local shops. That price though, ouch, almost 1 euro per seed. Still, ok as an experiment, maybe it's the best tomato ever. I spent quite a lot 2 years ago on a big cherry/grape hybrid trial as well.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #23
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I don't know anything about this company. I looked at their contact link and it says from NJ. They have the seed if it the same thing your looking for.

http://www.downrightnatural.com/inde...oducts_id=1758
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #24
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

It looks like the same variety we are discussing here. Their seeds are labeled organic but very expensive! I haven't found any reviews of the company but would be interested if anyone on Tomatoville has ordered from them and their experiences.
Old July 31, 2016   #25
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardadore View Post
It looks like the same variety we are discussing here. Their seeds are labeled organic but very expensive! I haven't found any reviews of the company but would be interested if anyone on Tomatoville has ordered from them and their experiences.
I know nothing at all,but here's the HOME page

http://www.downrightnatural.com/

And how nice of them to give my ISP address.

Usually at a site I see an about us link,you know,background,but I didn't see one.

I noticed they are also selling Himalayan Salts, so whoever they are they are certainly into an organic state of mind and nothing wrong with that either..

Carolyn
Old July 31, 2016   #26
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

Well they do seem legitimate. I placed an order to be the guinea pig! The home page indicates they have 50% off all tomato packets through July 31 (today) so I figured that made the prices a little better. I placed an order but the 50% did not show up. So I called them, left a message, and then sent an email to tell them that when I placed the order I did not see the discount. I have received an immediate email apologizing for that and concerned to have it taken up with their designer. The sale apparently is through today. The owner is not in the office on Sundays and said they are having some family problems and flooding so they are behind on shipping. The fact he answered my situation is impressive. I emailed back and told him I am waiting to find out about the Nectar variety and if things go well I will post positive feedback here. They even post the businesses they get their seeds from but the Nectar was very ambiguous so may well be from Germany. Everything is touted as organic and it seems they use a number of different farms, etc. to get their products. So could be an interesting new find for me.
Old August 1, 2016   #27
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Kind of look like they might be like a broker for some farmers to me to help sell their product.

I'm surprised you got somebody to answer on the weekend and so quickly. Does give a person a bit more confidence in ordering from them. Cool! I didn't see the 50% off sale. That's always a bonus. : )

Hope you get your product and it turns out good. Give us posted on how it goes.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2016   #28
Mashman
Tomatovillian™

Grew Nectar from Parks this season. Liked the flavor a lot. Very sweet. Plants were not very tall in comparison to SunGold. Productive and no issues with disease although it was very dry in the Northeast this year.

Michael
Mashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2016   #29
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
Grew Nectar from Parks this season. Liked the flavor a lot. Very sweet. Plants were not very tall in comparison to SunGold. Productive and no issues with disease although it was very dry in the Northeast this year.

Michael
Did you grow sungold side by side to compare?
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2016   #30
Mashman
Tomatovillian™

Yes...literally side by side. 3.5 ft from each other.
Mashman is offline   Reply With Quote