Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 27, 2016   #31
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

What did ya think of the taste? Better? As good?
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2016   #32
Mashman
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Sungold for years and love it's flavor. Nectar has a different taste but is excellent as well. I would add that the more you let Nectar get ripe on the vine, the more intense the sweetness. Really need to let them get deep red...will definitely grow in 2017.
Mashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2016   #33
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad to hear that they were so good, Mashman! After what I went through to locate, order and finally receive the seeds, I can't wait to try them in 2017. I grow SunSugar which is similar to SunGold so look forward to having both. I first ordered through Parks, which turned out to be painless as they charged me through my Amazon account so I felt fairly safe. They arrived a few days later. I then ordered from downrightnatural.com. Even though they answered me on the weekend it took a while to get the order. I ordered the last day of the 50% sale but they still charged me the full rate for several packs of seeds. Their seeds were expensive but better with the 50% rate which they assured me was current when I ordered.
I have emailed two times with the promise that they would adjust the payment but it still has not appeared on the credit card. I finally got the seeds but doubt I will use them again because of all this hassle. It is a shame because they respond quickly, have some nice choices, and the Nectar is 20 seeds instead of the 10 from Park. Now I have 30 seeds, I should be fine for a while!
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2016   #34
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

Mashman,

Did you have any problems with cracking when you let them ripen to the intense red?
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2016   #35
Mashman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardadore View Post
Mashman,

Did you have any problems with cracking when you let them ripen to the intense red?
=================================================

There was some cracking but nowhere near as much as SG. We had drought conditions in the Northeast so I had the luxury of letting them get very ripe on the vine. If it rained as it usually does during the summer months there may have been more cracking. SG is a much taller plant which seems to offset the cracking issue in terms of yield.

One other observation....and this might sound strange...SG has this last second burst of flavor...Nectar does not. Steady sweet is how I would describe Nectar. I was pleasantly surprised.

Michael
Mashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2018   #36
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default OLD THREAD ALERT

I'm growing Nectar (purchased seeds from Parkseeds.com) and WOW!! this is a beautiful great tasting cherry tomato.

I have 2 plants going - one in an EarthBox and another in a root pouch. The one in the EB has Cherry Bomb as it's mate.

Both plants are huge and Cherry Bomb adapted to the heat (in October) better, but now with the cool spell, Nectar has way more ripe fruit. It is really blowing Cherry Bomb away. It's like the cold spell told Nectar to ripen quickly.

One thing on CherryBomb, is that everyone I've eaten, I thought I should have waited longer where I NEVER thought that about Nectar. This has been going on about a month now.

I don't see why anyone would compare to SunGold. I'm growing 3 versions of SunGold - all F1.

SunGold
Golden Cherry - I think a little sweater, no splitting
SunOrange - larger SunGold with ZERO splitting

I also LOVE the Tokita Varieties so I will update the thread I started last year with my initial impressions.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2019   #37
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

I have never grown a cherry tomato but thinking about it for next year. Looks like Park's Nectar and Sungold are the the undisputed cream of the crop

Edit: Just read another thread and looks like Sun Orange is improved over Sun Gold

Last edited by seaeagle; May 12, 2019 at 03:26 PM.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2019   #38
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

It is a very good variety. Growing conditions matter a lot though. I bought mine from Parks and grew them for two years, from the same seed pack.
The first year it was ordinary in taste. But the second year, they were one of the best tasting ones among the many varieties I had, complementing Sungold nicely, definitely not below Sungold, which is my all time favorite.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote