Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old December 9, 2015   #1
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Default list For the 2016 patch.

Hi all,

I have some nice pumpkins in mind for the pumpkin patch next year. Some are hybrid some are op/heirloom. All will be great for any use.

Field Trip: Field Trip is the perfect size for children. Its long twisting handle is very distinct and makes it easy to carry. Dark orange fruit are flattish with deep ribs. Very uniform in both shape and size. Intermediate resistance to Powdery Mildew.

Captain Jack F1:A new jumbo pumpkin for growers who appreciate a large, well attached crows foot handle. Barrel shaped, flat bottomed, smooth with light ribbing, uniform size and excellent yields. In our trials, Captain Jack was the earliest of this size class to color up and die down. The dark handles are the thickest we have seen.

Cronus F1: New from the breeders of Magic Lantern, Cronus is an extra large pumpkin with weights ranging from 25-60 lbs. 2 fruit per vine. It has a rich, dark orange surface with well defined ridges and a somewhat bumpy surface. The eye-catching handle is large, dark green and firmly attached. Give this one a little more room than usual when you plant.

Phat Jack:A fat, deeply-embedded, green handle tops off this awesome, tall, round pumpkin. Phat Jack is one of the most impressive big pumpkins weve seen. The skin is heavily ribbed.

Baby Wrinkles Hybrid : Dark orange, rounded fruits have wrinkles just like Mom and Pop but only average 5 to 7 pounds each.

Mr. Wrinkles Hybrid:Wrinkled pumpkins for extra-spooky jack o'lanterns. The big, barrel-shaped 20 to 30 pound pumpkins are deep orange in color, their shells heavily creased with deep wrinkles that add lots of character. The pumpkins are generally taller than wide, averaging 13 inches tall by 10 inches across. Their thick flesh has very good flavor. Dark green, 5 inch handles are deeply embedded. Strong, indeterminate vines are very high-yielding.

Mrs Wrinkles Hybrid:Large, blocky, burnt orange fruits are just a little shorter than Mr. Wrinkles at 9 inches tall by 10 inches wide and weigh 14 to 18 pounds

Howden: 95 days A large, more uniform Connecticut Field type pumpkin. A hard, orange rind makes this an excellent carving variety. The 22 lb fruit have thick orange flesh; a great keeper, and popular commercial variety.

New England Sugar Pie: 100 days The noted small sugar pumpkin of New England. The orange fruit weigh 4-5 lbs. and have fine, sweet flesh that is superb for pies. Described by Fearing Burr in 1863.

Rouge Vif D' Etampes: 95 days Most beautiful flattened and ribbed large fruit are a gorgeous deep red-orange. A very old French Heirloom, this was the most common pumpkin in the Central Market in Paris back in the 1880's. The flesh is tasty in pies or baked. This one can also be picked small, like summer squash, and fried. It is a good yielder too.

Winter Luxury:105 days This beautiful pumpkin was introduced by Johnson & Stokes in 1893. Lovely 6-lb golden fruit have white netting and are perfect for pies. In fact, this is one of the best tasting pie pumpkins you can grow; with very sweet and smooth flesh, it's a favorite of all who grow it.

Musquee De Provence:120 days These gorgeous, big flat pumpkins are shaped like a big wheel of cheese, and are heavily lobed and ribbed. The skin is a beautiful, rich brown color when ripe. The flesh is deep orange, thick and very fine flavored, fruit grow to 20 lbs. each. This is a traditional variety from southern France and makes a great variety for fall markets.

Kabocha Pumpkin Winter Squash:This is a great pumpkin with a great taste and beautiful orange flesh and dark green striped skin. Produces medium sized pumpkinsSow in Spring and SummerSow 20mm, seedlings emerge 5-8 days, space 90cm apart.Harvest approx. 120 days after sowing Japanese pumpkin is a globe-shaped squash with a skin which is smooth and dark green with pale green stripes. An average weighs 2-3 pounds but can weigh as much as 8 pounds. The orange colored flesh is very sweet. Kabocha contains large amounts of vitamin A. The seeds are nutritious as well, full of essential fatty acids. 100 days Kobacha is rich in betacarotene, and is perfect for any fall meal. In fact the late weeks of summer and early fall are peak Kobacha serving time. The two most common ways this squash is prepared are as a squash tempura or cream soup.unlike the typical orange pumpkin, Kobacha can last about a month to few months when uncut and stored at room temperature. Once the squash has been cut, it must be refrigerated for best use.

Last edited by KLorentz; December 9, 2015 at 10:36 PM.
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2015   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

It looks like you are a bit serious about your pumpkin growing. Have fun!
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2015   #3
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Yep going to plant about 20 hills worth
Old December 10, 2015   #4
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Hey KLorentz, If you don't mind my asking, what would be the best "cooking" pumpkin to plant? I really don't know much about planting pumpkins. I have planted some in the past for my grandkids to carve but that is all. I would like to grow my own this year. Thanks for any and all help!!
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2015   #5
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLorentz View Post
Hi all,

I have some nice pumpkins in mind for the pumpkin patch next year. Some are hybrid some are op/heirloom. All will be great for any use.

Field Trip: Field Trip is the perfect size for children. Its long twisting handle is very distinct and makes it easy to carry. Dark orange fruit are flattish with deep ribs. Very uniform in both shape and size. Intermediate resistance to Powdery Mildew.

Captain Jack F1:A new jumbo pumpkin for growers who appreciate a large, well attached crows foot handle. Barrel shaped, flat bottomed, smooth with light ribbing, uniform size and excellent yields. In our trials, Captain Jack was the earliest of this size class to color up and die down. The dark handles are the thickest we have seen.

Cronus F1: New from the breeders of Magic Lantern, Cronus is an extra large pumpkin with weights ranging from 25-60 lbs. 2 fruit per vine. It has a rich, dark orange surface with well defined ridges and a somewhat bumpy surface. The eye-catching handle is large, dark green and firmly attached. Give this one a little more room than usual when you plant.

Phat Jack:A fat, deeply-embedded, green handle tops off this awesome, tall, round pumpkin. Phat Jack is one of the most impressive big pumpkins weve seen. The skin is heavily ribbed.

Baby Wrinkles Hybrid : Dark orange, rounded fruits have wrinkles just like Mom and Pop but only average 5 to 7 pounds each.

Mr. Wrinkles Hybrid:Wrinkled pumpkins for extra-spooky jack o'lanterns. The big, barrel-shaped 20 to 30 pound pumpkins are deep orange in color, their shells heavily creased with deep wrinkles that add lots of character. The pumpkins are generally taller than wide, averaging 13 inches tall by 10 inches across. Their thick flesh has very good flavor. Dark green, 5 inch handles are deeply embedded. Strong, indeterminate vines are very high-yielding.

Mrs Wrinkles Hybrid:Large, blocky, burnt orange fruits are just a little shorter than Mr. Wrinkles at 9 inches tall by 10 inches wide and weigh 14 to 18 pounds

Howden: 95 days A large, more uniform Connecticut Field type pumpkin. A hard, orange rind makes this an excellent carving variety. The 22 lb fruit have thick orange flesh; a great keeper, and popular commercial variety.

New England Sugar Pie: 100 days The noted small sugar pumpkin of New England. The orange fruit weigh 4-5 lbs. and have fine, sweet flesh that is superb for pies. Described by Fearing Burr in 1863.

Rouge Vif D' Etampes: 95 days Most beautiful flattened and ribbed large fruit are a gorgeous deep red-orange. A very old French Heirloom, this was the most common pumpkin in the Central Market in Paris back in the 1880's. The flesh is tasty in pies or baked. This one can also be picked small, like summer squash, and fried. It is a good yielder too.

Winter Luxury:105 days This beautiful pumpkin was introduced by Johnson & Stokes in 1893. Lovely 6-lb golden fruit have white netting and are perfect for pies. In fact, this is one of the best tasting pie pumpkins you can grow; with very sweet and smooth flesh, it's a favorite of all who grow it.

Musquee De Provence:120 days These gorgeous, big flat pumpkins are shaped like a big wheel of cheese, and are heavily lobed and ribbed. The skin is a beautiful, rich brown color when ripe. The flesh is deep orange, thick and very fine flavored, fruit grow to 20 lbs. each. This is a traditional variety from southern France and makes a great variety for fall markets.

Kabocha Pumpkin Winter Squash:This is a great pumpkin with a great taste and beautiful orange flesh and dark green striped skin. Produces medium sized pumpkinsSow in Spring and SummerSow 20mm, seedlings emerge 5-8 days, space 90cm apart.Harvest approx. 120 days after sowing Japanese pumpkin is a globe-shaped squash with a skin which is smooth and dark green with pale green stripes. An average weighs 2-3 pounds but can weigh as much as 8 pounds. The orange colored flesh is very sweet. Kabocha contains large amounts of vitamin A. The seeds are nutritious as well, full of essential fatty acids. 100 days Kobacha is rich in betacarotene, and is perfect for any fall meal. In fact the late weeks of summer and early fall are peak Kobacha serving time. The two most common ways this squash is prepared are as a squash tempura or cream soup.unlike the typical orange pumpkin, Kobacha can last about a month to few months when uncut and stored at room temperature. Once the squash has been cut, it must be refrigerated for best use.
Winter Luxury (Pie) - I agree with the above. But...it needs to be picked when ripe. Otherwise, they will rot quickly on wet ground.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2015   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike2 View Post
Hey KLorentz, If you don't mind my asking, what would be the best "cooking" pumpkin to plant? I really don't know much about planting pumpkins. I have planted some in the past for my grandkids to carve but that is all. I would like to grow my own this year. Thanks for any and all help!!
Spike,

What are you looking for in a "cooking" pumpkin, as in how would it be prepared and served?
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2015   #7
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Spike,

What are you looking for in a "cooking" pumpkin, as in how would it be prepared and served?
Pumpkin pie, Pumpkin rolls, Pumpkin butter, Pumpkin bread and need the seeds for roasted pepitas!!!
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #8
gardenfrog
Tomatovillian™

I've heard the heirloom, Nantucket Long, is a great baking pumpkin!
gardenfrog is offline   Reply With Quote