Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old August 17, 2017   #31
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
I still have about 600 seed bought this year, so I'm hoping I don't need to buy more next year. Will test germinate some in Feb or March.
I have done well with using corn seed for 2 years but after that outdoor germination dropped way down even though I did a test germination indoors it looked good. I had to replant.

Now I only buy enough seed for 2 years and then throw it away.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017   #32
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

That is good to hear. If I could figure a way to protect the stands from squirrels I would be in heaven all summer. Buying local a mile down the road was $4.75 already about 3 years back. I haven't stopped to check recently.
Most stalks I got one primary ear and a 2nd/3rd smaller/later, some big enough to eat when I pulled it all.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017   #33
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

My corn did better than ever this year I guess because it has been such a rainy year, our 3rd wettest on record according to local weather guys. I don't have a squirrel issue because I have no big trees. They seem to stay across the street in the neighbor's trees and eat their corn and bird seed. Ha, ha.

I got 2 nice ears on each stalk and even 3 on a few stalks. It was amazing. Actually the variety that I grow is called Amazing.

Local corn here sells for $3/dozen right now so it's pretty cheap but mine is organic.
Old August 17, 2017   #34
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Next year I will get/plant some good seeds and feed the plants real well .

BTW: how many ears do get from each plant, in average ? I got mostly 2 ears.
Me too (2 ears) - sometimes only one or 1 + a runt.

Not sure if different varieties produce more or weather related. I was expecting 2 though, but seems like some of my roadside "pit stops" in the cornfields in Missy, Nebby they had more.

Not really in Corn Country, but has become moreso since they started to squeeze corn juice into the gas can.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017   #35
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

1 or 2 ears per stalk can sometimes be due to spacing, the wider the spacing the better chance of getting two ears.

A typical year, here. Tassels are out, with no sign of silks. If none appear soon, I freeze some pollen for later use.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017   #36
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

partly it depends on how fertile the ground is and how much moisture tha plant has available . Our first corn patch had such short stalks I actually was picking ears at about 6" off the ground. the next crop same variety was 6+' tall. we watered that patch. we have some that has 2 ears and occasionally 3(as long as they are watered or have sufficient rain fall) but typically the hybrid corn varieties we grow produce one ear.
Old August 18, 2017   #37
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Corn likes lots of water and I do not usually provide supplemental water but this year is our 3rd wettest summer on record so it had plenty and I had 2 ears on pretty much every stalk. My spacing was not really big.
Old August 19, 2017   #38
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
Me too (2 ears) - sometimes only one or 1 + a runt.

Not sure if different varieties produce more or weather related. I was expecting 2 though, but seems like some of my roadside "pit stops" in the cornfields in Missy, Nebby they had more.

Not really in Corn Country, but has become moreso since they started to squeeze corn juice into the gas can.
Thanks.
Around here corn is one of top crops. That is for commercial use not for table. It is about harvest time.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote