Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 22, 2018   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Pine Straw (pine needles) in hanging baskets?

I have experimented for several years using a good layer of coco mat in the bottom of my 12" plastic hanging baskets as a moisture retaining material which allows roots to easily penetrate. The results are promising. Now, I'd like to find a cheaper alternative.

I have a very large White Pine tree that sheds bunches of needles each fall. So I'm wondering about using a layer of these pine needles at the bottom of the hanging baskets. I'd do a test quantity to make sure that nothing really bad happens on a large scale.

I'd suspect that many folks have used pine needles as mulch on the surface, but using them on the bottom is a bit different. Anyone done this? Or are there potential issues from pH or the resins that may be in the needles? Any thoughts?

Another possibility is using several layers of burlap folded on the bottom/sides of the basket. But I like the pine needles better since they are absolutely free and I truly have an abundance.

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2018   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I think it should work. Newly fallen pine needles should last one season. It can regulate moisture well. Now I think that I will use it at the bottom of all my containers. As mulch, pine straw lasts one season under sun before it falls apart , becoming a good soil amendment.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote