Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old December 11, 2017   #46
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I forgot about that one. Corn is so confusing, too many choices and how to know if you'll like it. Peaches and Cream is awesome for cream style corn, all it takes is a little blanching for storage. We in La eat corn maque choux and you can't make that with supersweet corn, It has too much sugar.
Corn/maize is one of my favorite vegetables of historic study the other chilies.
And the only one I know of that doesn't have any wild living relative that even comes close to looking like it but types of teosinte/Zea.
Many of which are endangered.
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/s...5creature.html
http://www.pnas.org/content/99/9/6080.long

It truly is one of the (if not the) biggest food mysteries known to man.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2017   #47
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Has anyone grown Oaxacan Green? I have not tried it, but it looks intriguing. I am surprised that there are not green corn chips and tortillas being marketed.
I'm working on a sweet version of Oaxacan Green dent corn.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2017   #48
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

For some of the new hybrid corns having the shrunken genes, you do need to isolate them. Otherwise, they will be tough eating.
Old December 13, 2017   #49
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike2 View Post
LOL okay that tickles me! Tormato the corn snob!! I am gonna have to try this kind!

That should be Kandy Korn.

Candy Corn is the Halloween treat, of which I am not a candy snob, so long as it doesn't contain coconut.
Old December 13, 2017   #50
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Corn/maize is one of my favorite vegetables of historic study the other chilies.
And the only one I know of that doesn't have any wild living relative that even comes close to looking like it but types of teosinte/Zea.
Many of which are endangered.
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/s...5creature.html
http://www.pnas.org/content/99/9/6080.long

It truly is one of the (if not the) biggest food mysteries known to man.
Worth, google native Nebraska corn. There are several efforts underway that are spearheaded from local Native American tribes to preserve endangered corn species. I heard 90 percent of original varieties are gone forever.

Most of the corn grown here is for ethanol industrial uses and cattle feed. As for sweet corn, I got corn smut two years in a row and gave up.A customer drops a cart of sweet corn every year at my gas station for free give out. It was the best I have ever had but the cashiers never asked the variety. I will have to make a nice fuss over it and maybe they will remember to ask next year.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2017   #51
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I'm working on a sweet version of Oaxacan Green dent corn.
I've viewed heirloom corns at lectures but never a green in my area. That is a very vibrant coloration compared to various muted colors of black muddy greens and greys and indian blanket orange and brown tones that I have seen.

Does the green impart a unique flavor?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2017   #52
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post

..... As for sweet corn, I got corn smut two years in a row and gave up.A customer drops a cart of sweet corn every year at my gas station for free give out. It was the best I have ever had but the cashiers never asked the variety. I will have to make a nice fuss over it and maybe they will remember to ask next year.

- Lisa
if this is a grain farmer most of them around here get 5#'s of Incredible from their seed supplier every year for a "gift" for buying seed corn. so, many of them plant it along the front end of their field. 5#'s o sweet corn seed is a lot of seed, but it is probably the minimum quantity for a planter the size they use.
Old March 2, 2018   #53
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I don't see many Southern posts on this thread other than one Cajun and a couple of Texans so I'll add mine.

I grow mainly Silver Queen. It's been really consistent, holds well in the freezer and does better than other varieties for me in this area. For a few years I did grow some early corn that germinates OK in cooler soil in an effort to get a jump on the season. That was Quickie one year and Spring Treat Yellow another year, both about 65 days to harvest and planted about 4 weeks before the 85 day Silver Queen.

The problem was that they drew coons into the garden! Before trying these early corns I'd had only rare coon visits. The closest other corn I know of is a dairy guy 4 miles away who grows corn for silage and he plants early. I got to thinking that maybe the coons came to mine because it was the only game in town since the dairy guy's wasn't ready yet. Since I quit growing the early corn I'm back to no coon problems.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2018   #54
berryman
Tomatovillian™

I grow flint corn each year and cook with it all winter. Much less fussy than the sweet corn.
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2018   #55
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

Growing corn in Ireland is a challenge, to put it mildly, but I finally managed it last year! I chose the supersweet early variety Earlibird. I grew it in modules indoors until the last week of May, then planted it in the most sunny, sheltered spot I had. Once the pollen appeared I would manually pollinate them whenever I was in the veg patch - literally hug a load of stems and gently wobble them. It worked! I had a corncob from every plant in September!
I have a bunch of other early supersweets to try this year
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2018   #56
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

I grew Stowell's Evergreen last year and it was amazingly good!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote