Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 5, 2018   #1
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Default Mozark a heart or round?

I've been growing Mozark for a few years and it seems to me that it is a heart, but when I Google it, I see it also listed as round.

What has been your experience?
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

From Tatianna's Tomatobase:

History
Mozark is a stabilized cross of Earliana, L. pimpinellifolium, Break O'Day, Bison, and Greater Baltimore. It is well adapted to sweltering Midwestern and Mid-South summer conditions. It was released n 1958, and now discontinued.
A University of Missouri variety used in producing several hybrids once popular in Arkansas and Missouri, including Avalanche (Mozark x Glamour) and Missouri Surprise, also known as MoCross Surprise (Mozark x Sioux). Then Mozark went out of production and the hybrids were taken off the market.
Bill Jeffers of Indiana got some 1964 seeds from Dr. David Trinklein (Univ. Mo. at Columbia) and grew some nice, 36 – 40" tall plants that bore an average 40 fruit in the 5 – 7 ounce range, red, slightly flattened globes with excellent tart flavor that used to be common among canner types.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250px-Mozark.jpg (21.1 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by PaulF; March 5, 2018 at 03:59 PM.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #3
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, PaulF,

I bought the original seeds 4 or 5 years ago as Mozark, but what I'm growing may be something else. It produces heart shaped fruit about 8-10 ounces with good flavor, so I think I'll keep on growing them. I save seeds and they seem to come back true.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote