Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 5, 2018   #31
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I'm guessing that the differences in our 2 climates are why we are seeing such differences in the same varieties. For me, I've never seen Packman as good as you, even tho it does well for me. While I've never seen any mention of it, I wonder if at least some broccoli varieties are day length sensitive like onions are.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #32
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

Hazzards Seeds has Packman seeds as well, but also has Pack-Pro, which in print says ‘replaces Packman’. (?)

Along with most of the previous comments, I’ve also grown and loved Packman, Gypsy and Green Magic, but then last year I ordered Batavia F1 from Renee’s Garden and it is early and with abundant tasty sideshoots, so we are repeating Batavia.

I know seeds can last for years, but Hazzards is bulk purchase like 250 seeds or +, and while seeds can be viable for years I’m not in a position to ever use that many.

I also purchased an O-P from Sand Hill named Atlantic to gage if a non-hybrid can produce as well and hold up to the heat.
Old April 9, 2018   #33
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmran1 View Post
Hazzards Seeds has Packman seeds as well, but also has Pack-Pro, which in print says ‘replaces Packman’. (?)
Sounds like Hazzards is replacing Packman in their offerings. I can't imagine renaming Packman!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018   #34
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Here's the Packman that's ready now. Those are Green Goliath plants behind them.

After the avalanche of broccoli in the fall I decided to do some staged starting and planting for a staggered harvest. Four Packman were started and four more started a week later. Four Green Goliath were started a week after that and another four a week later. Same stagger for planting. I think I still need to work on that like maybe doing three plants every week or maybe ten days.

These are the side shoots that have already formed under the main heads! I've never had this many big side shoots before. Unless Green Goliath does wonders, I think I will grow Packman exclusively. No more testing.

Old May 4, 2018   #35
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Well, the Green Goliath broccoli just aren't working out. Maybe because they were planted a bit later than the Packman and now the weather has definitely made a turn towards summer. The heads on the first four plants only got 3" wide before starting to loosen up compared to the 7" Packman heads.

The second four Goliaths have 1" buttons showing. However, Green Goliath will get another chance this fall. Sometimes cool weather things just don't do right in spring here and are better fall plants. If Green Goliath doesn't do well in the fall, I will put the remaining seeds up for adoption.
All eight Packman heads have now been cut and side shoots are coming regularly. So far I've cut one ounce shy of two pounds of side shoots from those eight plants in the last 19 days.
Old May 8, 2018   #36
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Growing broccoli in the south ,methinks, is a challenge. However, I try anyway. Last year i have about a dozen.
On the variety, i boght the seeds from Dollar Tree store, 20 cents per packet
Ihave some of the same growing now too. I direct sowed them like in February. They strggled but survived. Now they are doing great
But wait when the temperatures get into 90s.
This climate is good for okra, eggplants, pepper.. not fore cole crops.JMO

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2018   #37
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I hear ya about the heat. This year I really pushed the early envelope, starting the first four Packman on Jan 9 and setting them out Feb 10. Those made the prettiest heads of the four 4-packs I grew off at staggered times. The second four Packman were started Jan 16 and set out Feb 10. Nice heads too.

The two sets of four Green Giant were set out Feb 28 and Mar 10 and planted out Feb 28 and Mar 10 respectively. Still cool weather but 3" heads. Don't know whether it was the timing or how that variety does in my garden. It will get another chance in the fall.
Old May 13, 2018   #38
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I start planting cole crops in the fall and stagger planting them into February and this year even set some out in March and they did well because spring weather was much cooler than normal here. Sometimes my fall crop gets killed by early freezes or heads too soon because of a sudden heat wave. During the winter I make small hoops to cover my beds during really cold nights. If it gets cold enough even that won't protect them but it usually works in our mild winters. No matter how funky the weather is by staggering planting dates some of them will work out great and others will do terrible but you can never tell from year to year which plant out time will work that year.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #39
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I start planting cole crops in the fall and stagger planting them into February and this year even set some out in March and they did well because spring weather was much cooler than normal here. Bill
Thanks for this input! I've never planted out broccoli and kohlrabi right through the winter but I've been thinking about it and about planting out in pairs instead of four at a time. And every two weeks. I do have a hoop setup that I can place over them.

The 16 initial plants set out at intervals in January produced three pounds of side shoots after the heads were cut, most all of that from the eight Packman plants. Yesterday the ten remaining broccoli plants got pulled out. Eight were Green Goliath and they never did much at all. They'll get one more chance in the fall.