Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old August 12, 2018   #31
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I picked my first corn this week. I grew Incredible and it produced well. This is 5 dozen ears and there is probably that much still out in the garden. I planted 5 rows.

We had 23" of rain this summer and the corn seemed to like that.

20180810_193128 by Brownrexx, on Flickr
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018   #32
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Do you pick them all at once and freeze? I just pick for supper each night, whichever ones look ready. Those look great. My first block was a bust, no rain then, and only got about 1/3 good ears before seeing all kinds of poor pollination and bugs. The second has been okay, no bugs, and is just about done. The last couple pickings have been poorly pollinated cobs again. Third just started, I hand pollinated that and it looks pretty good, but I was only able to do actually see pollen on two mornings. It was just too wet that during that week. They all taste, great but pollination the last two years was complete without any fuss. It is kind of a jackpot the way corn grows in distinct stages.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018   #33
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I pick all of the ones that are ready at once so that they do not become over ripe on the stalks. The ones that you see in the picture were on plants that were all planted at the same time. I have a smaller 2nd planting that is not ready yet. We will probably just use that for fresh eating.

We eat some each day usually but the ones in the picture have been blanched and are now in 23 bags in the freezer.

I need to pick more today.

Last edited by brownrexx; August 13, 2018 at 07:43 AM.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote