Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old October 13, 2017   #1
BettyC-5
Tomatovillian™

Default Hopi Black squash

I plan to send seed from one of these squash to be included in the MMMM swap. That's if the seeds are good. Will be cutting it soon so I can see how it tastes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009.JPG (138.9 KB, 182 views)
BettyC-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017   #2
BettyC-5
Tomatovillian™

Well, I cut the Hopi Black squash, it looked good, had a nice aroma, but when I baked it it was real watery and did not taste good. Gave it to the chickens. Also the seeds do not appear to be mature. Pretty disappointed.
I have two more and I am going to give them several months to cure and I will try one again. Maybe they will get better.
I was going to send seeds from a Tetsukabuto F1 crossed with a buttercup but it is supposed to be a good keeping squash so I will wait and see how long it will keep. Then I will plant some of the seeds next year and see how they grow.
Here is a picture of the Tetsukabuto F1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.JPG (102.2 KB, 148 views)
Old October 23, 2017   #3
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Tetsukabuto should keep fairly well, but not as long as some of the butternuts. I've had butternuts last until May.

If you can, save some seed of the cross and the grow out next year, for me.

My favorite squash, I just cut it in half, seed it and bake it (perhaps just a thin brushing of oil to keep from forming a "crust", but not necessary). No need for anything else on it, and no need to process it, either.

The Hopi Black on the vine closest to the root ball would likely have the maturest seed.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017   #4
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I have never grown this squash, but do you think you guys might have picked it too soon. The
picture I've seen online shows it similar to the color of butternut. See link below.

http://providence-acres.blogspot.com...ct-squash.html
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017   #5
BettyC-5
Tomatovillian™

Tormato: I will save the seeds from the Tetsukabuto cross and grow them out. Will send you some. I used a buttercup that was from Joseph's landrace seeds. Hope these are mature.
roper2008: I had to pick the Hopi Black squashes because of a freeze. I think they really needed more growing time. I saw those pictures when I was doing a search on this squash. There is not much information out there. Mine are still greenish. Probably will try growing it again.
Old October 31, 2017   #6
BettyC-5
Tomatovillian™

Tormato: I have a question, If I grow a Tetsukabuto and the Tetsukabuto cross can I use the cross to pollinate the Tetsukabuto? Or should I use something else? I have quite a few kinds of winter squash.
Old October 31, 2017   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I have no idea if it would work.

But, I do know that either maxima or moschata will cross with Tetsukabuto.

I have a couple of crosses from several years ago that I hope to plant in 2018. One trial from a few years ago produced nothing but a runt. The plant never got over a foot long/tall, with leaves about 2" wide, and no flowers.

Joseph's landrace sounds like a really interesting cross that you have. So interesting, that if you have viable seed....
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2018   #8
BettyC-5
Tomatovillian™

I cut the second Hopi Black squash a couple months ago and baked half of it. Cut side down on a rack, it was still watery and tasteless. Put it out for the deer. The third one got cut up for the deer too. I did cook a small piece and it was stringy somewhat like a spaghetti squash. One thing, the rind was easy to cut. Don't think I will grow it again unless I want to grow them for deer food. The snow is deep and it has been cold so the critters are eating stuff I don't want them to eat.
I have a couple of other winter squash I want to try, Knife River, Confection, Carnival, and will try Seminole again. I like it and I also really like Moregold, it has sweet orange creamy flesh.

I have another Tetsukabuto but I didn't bag the flower so won't save seeds. It is keeping okay so far.
Gary, I will send seeds from the first one after I do a germination test. I had let it cure for a couple of months before I cooked it. It liked it well enough to grow again.
I need a bigger garden area.
Old October 13, 2018   #9
BettyC-5
Tomatovillian™

Tormato, did you plant any of the Tetsukabuto F1 X buttercup I sent. If you did, how were they? I put out two plants and a gopher ate both of them. Have some more seed so will try again next year.