Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 4, 2018   #46
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Can't hurt to try that!

Still, I am surprised that the tape doesn't come off in the rain. I tried using duct tape for an auto mirror and it came off in two weeks. Loctite didn't work either , not did jweld. Gave in and spent $165 on a new one.

-Lisa
I suppose shipping tape would start to come off if it were put on a porous surface that sucked in water from behind the adhesive. I use on plastic mainly with plain paper or an Avery label underneath the tape.

My truck mirror snapped off in an ice storm when a branch fell on it, just hanging by the remote wire. I used gorilla glue and duct tape (it was a plastic mirror housing painted to match the truck). When I took the duct tape off a couple weeks later it was a solid bond. I sold the truck 5 years later, mirror was still good to go!
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2018   #47
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

I don't use markers-I cut aluminum strips from beer cans and stamp the varieties on them. Since I grow about 375 plants of about 30 varieties, I also map the varieties in the garden.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2018   #48
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

The beer can labels worked great for me last year. I used an old ballpoint pen to press the name of the tomato into it in case the marker wore off. I used a marker to make the name stand out more from a distance but if it wears off I can still read the name pressed into the strip.

They lasted all season and are ready to do duty again.

However the Stellar's Jays have pulled the tags out of the garlic more than once! Why! I hope I put them back in the right pots.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2018   #49
elight
Tomatovillian™

I haven't found a pen or marker yet that could withstand the Florida sun. I use a pencil and haven't had any issues. There's a thread around here somewhere with specific pencil recommendations, which can be found at an art supply store.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2018   #50
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

I follow Marsha in things "Tomato" so I just bought the Sakura pens- check Amazon they are cheaper than Overstock- here is the link
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...LPU706DK&psc=1
I hope they do well in my Colorado sun!!!
Heide
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2018   #51
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Urban Heirlooms- your markers sound awesome! Will you please post a pic so we can see your handiwork?! Sounds like a good craft project for my special needs daughter!!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2018   #52
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I have clear UV protection labels that I put over the name when I write it and it prevents fading. I have also used paint pens.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2018   #53
loulac
Tomatovillian™

I have no problems with ordinary quality permanent markers. If at the end of the season they are a bit pale I clean them with acetone on a cotton swab and they are ready for the following year.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2018   #54
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Urban Heirlooms - if you need any help emptying those beer cans for labels let me know !

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2018   #55
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

If you don't drink out of aluminium cans, you can always use aluminium pie tins to cut markers from.....

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2018   #56
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
If you don't drink out of aluminium cans, you can always use aluminium pie tins to cut markers from.....

Linda
That would be me. Now we're talkin' my language. Got a motherlode of those!

I didn't find a protective sticker, but came upon a krylon spray if you have a large amount of tags to protect. It was $7 a can at art supply.

One change I'm using from this thread is that I will begin using an ordinary pencil on starts so I don't waste a tag on a permanent marker with a non-germinating variety. Now the pressure is off to pick up a permanent marker this week. When I ultimately buy one or more of the suggestions above, I will write on the other side and compare pencil to marker. I am so tired of a mix up in mapping and the tag fading. Double whammy.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2018   #57
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
I have no problems with ordinary quality permanent markers. If at the end of the season they are a bit pale I clean them with acetone on a cotton swab and they are ready for the following year.

Same here, using plastic plant labels. And to minimize fading over the course of the summer, I put them in the ground at the base of the plants facing north. I haven't had to buy any new labels for a few years now.

For seedlings, which I start in individual small pots, I use blue painter's tape stuck to the pot. When I up-pot, I transfer the tape label to the larger pot.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2018   #58
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

No markers at all for my garden. I keep a map inside the house. If the plants are very productive, and I'm out there every day picking tomatoes, I don't even need the map. I'll remember exactly where every single variety is, all 100+ of them.
If the production is low, well, I better not lose the map.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2018   #59
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I try to plant alphabetically AND I keep a master plan on the fridge. Some years I even make an extra map to go inside a baggie for the garden. My problem is that the plant markers get lost under all the plant growth....

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2018   #60
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruofgardens View Post
I second the Sharpie eXtreme. I use it on plastic plant markers when they're seedlings and also on the plant ID markers on tomato cages. I buy a heavier plastic school folder, cut them into about 1"x3" pieces, attach them by punching a hole on one end and tie onto the cages with sandwich ties.

Now I have a use for all the bread wrapper ties I drop in a draw!

THanks for the plastic school folder idea as my kids seem to always trash a few, and now I can repurpose that plastic.

I read but have not tried: vinyl siding cut into strips and a pencil. Got the idea from a fruit tree forum. Still waiting to find vinyl as most homes here use aluminum siding instead.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote