Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 30, 2017   #1
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Default growing corn ?

haven't grown any corn in a long while and wondering if there were any suggestions to a successful and aesthetically pleasing crop. maybe around 50 plants, blocked in rows of 2.

going to wait until things heat up a bit more, run a string for uniformity, and poke them in the dirt 2" of so.

corn used to be cheap 5c an ear, but since they started tainting the gas with corn squeezing, price has jumped to 2 or 3 for a dollar. corn has crept into Arkansas farms due to the value going up, so thought I would give it a try.

sounds pretty simple, but maybe there are some useful thoughts outside of the plug and play method.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #2
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Astronomy domine
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #3
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I grow about 50 plants or more of Indian corn, the colored stuff. Usually in a block with the plants about six inches apart.

I soak the seeds using a paper towel until they sprout. then I carefully plant not breaking the sprout.

I cover with a board raised a bit with cross pieces so when emerging the stalks have a bit of room. This is to keep moisture from evaporating due to Sun. Also to discourage birds from eating the small plants and removing the seeds.

Sometimes I fence the system to discourage squirrels. I usually get around 25 pounds or dried kernels.
http://durgan.org/2016/September%202...n%20Corn/HTML/ 11 September 2016 Indian Corn
My 8 by 8 foot patch of Indian Corn was harvested and husked today. One bushel basket was obtained. It will be thoroughly dried in the Sun and shelled and weighed. The shelled corn will be nixtamalized and made into gruel (cereal) and some used for making tortillas.

http://durgan.org/2016/September%202...n%20Corn/HTML/ 11 September 2016 Indian Corn
My 8 by 8 foot patch of Indian Corn was harvested and husked today. One bushel basket was obtained. It will be thoroughly dried in the Sun and shelled and weighed. The shelled corn will be nixtamalized and made into gruel (cereal) and some used for making tortillas.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #4
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Same as you,got interested after my neighbor grew some corn from Burpees called Jaws.It came in at 12 foot and multi ears to boot.One foot long ears,I love raw corn(a bite or two)almost ate the whole thing.Just as sweet as the Silver Queens we are used to.
Old March 31, 2017   #5
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I don't know what "blocked in rows of 2" means. If you mean 2 long rows with 25 plants in each row than it is not the best way to plant corn for optimum pollination.

It would be better to plant 5 short rows of 10 plants each to make a big square block. That way you have more plants spreading their pollen to each other. Each kernel of corn will require a pollen grain so you want the plants close together, not in long rows.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I want to grow blue corn from Mexico.
I know where to get the seeds for cheap too.
The Fiesta store sells the whole ears in the international food section.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Raccoons love it, and are great at sneaking under an electric fence. It's hard to keep a wire low enough to the ground to keep them out, without being so low that the grass quickly grows up into it and shorts out the fence.

And I agree that planting in a square block is best.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #8
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I nominate Cole Robbie for most helpful Tomatovillian. So much good advice and always answers the question!
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

There was a whole tread here last year on the best way to grow corn in a raised bed.
it seemed no one could agree.
Also useful information on how deep to plant the seeds.
To deep and it play out.
Too shallow and it wont hold itself up.

Here is the same video I posted last year.
It has the machinery into play.
https://youtu.be/vgriLjxaVlgp

I have always planted 6 inches apart and one foot rows for hand picking in a small space.
Here is the video on how deep and why.
https://youtu.be/WvGKJ6GVuJQ
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #10
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

I have grown in rows which is pretty much as easy as it gets. However, my constant need to experiment is being satisfied this year by try intense plants, 3 per square foot in an 8 x 8 bed. We'll see.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #11
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Astronomy domine

Or Joseph Lofthouse's strain of Astronomy domine.

or Double Red Sweet Corn.

Yes, big block are best for pollination. 10ft x 10ft square. Don't use long skinny rows.

Racoons are a big problem here. I have an idea for a motion detector strobe light, but haven't made one yet.
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #12
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
I nominate Cole Robbie for most helpful Tomatovillian. So much good advice and always answers the question!

I agree! But you need nominated also!
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #13
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
I agree! But you need nominated also!
+2
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #14
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

I wish I had the room for it. I've tried it before, last being last year, and I crammed it in a raised bed. I only got a few ears. Silver Queen. The rest didn't grow to full size.

Maybe one year when I cut down on the tomatoes....hahaha.....like that's ever going to happen!!

Cole and Fred always give good info as most do here! I just don't like it when members take over a post and all they do is mention themselves throughout it. 'I' was the one!! It was 'ME' who did it first!! smh

Good luck with the corn!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #15
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

My son gave me some of these to try. Nice popcorn. Of course I had to try growing it. In pots no less and they were successful!

http://amishcountrypopcorn.com/1lb-purple-popcorn/

Wish I had room to grow everything I want to but then I don't think I could successfully tend to it all anymore.

When I had a large country garden I did grow some red corn that did well and was delicious.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote