Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 19, 2017   #1
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Default Mushrooms in the forest

Probably remained to me to founded this thread about forest mushrooms. The content should be especially pictures of mushrooms from the forest or mushrooms collected. The descriptions will be for information only and can not be by them to go to the forest to collect mushrooms and then from them to cook something. A number of poisonous mushrooms differ little from those of edible and therefore each collects only a mushrooms which really knows well !!! Obviously it's good to know even the most poisonous!!

As I said, now I already to pick mushrooms into the forest do not go too much I do not take pictures of mushrooms. Because I have no pictures of mushrooms, so I chose a mushroom from Wikipedia, which I collected in February, when I was learning for exams at the University of the winter semester. It is an edible mushroom, excellent into the soup. It is interesting that after many decades I found a bunch of mushrooms directly under the windows our block of flats. Winter mushroom Flammulina velutipes.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flam.jpg (48.7 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; April 19, 2017 at 11:35 AM.
MrBig46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #2
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Oh, Mr Big, one of my favourite topics! I learned to love mushrooming with my Lithuanian born parents who came to Canada after WW2. I taught both my children how to find mushrooms and one of them has gone on to learn to identify many more varieties than I ever knew were safe to eat.

Here we go! Gotta start them young.
Come on Gramma!

NOT for eating. Some pretties along the way.

So nice to go up into the hills in autumn.

There's the road on the right.

Yes, gramma is a slow poke these days.

A nice fresh lobster mushroom. Their ammonia like taste does give them a lobsterish flavour, good with meat. (and tomatoes!)

Interesting sights along the way sometimes.

Mmmm. These are all good.

Anyone know this variety? I have no clue. It looks like ice in the moss.

Of course we found a few more to eat.

I dry lots of these and use them in soups.

Almost forgot the excellent Pine mushrooms my children learned to find.

GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #3
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Lobster, Chanterelle, Matsutaka, are they? What a bounty, Coastal!
I love learning about them, but have not collected any except for some oysters.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #4
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

These are just wonderful pictures. I think it's very wise to teach children about safe wild edibles. I admire the skill of everyone who gathers with expertise. Mr. Big, thank you for starting this wonderful topic.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #5
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Mushrooming here in my country too, although personally I haven't done it so much in recent years.
The most common way to preserve them is 'salting' ... but some varieties are best dried.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #6
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful. Use to be a bit of a hobby of mine, but I don't live in good mushroom country. Too much walking for too little gain.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #7
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Nice pictures, I love the walk through the woods to see your mushroom environment! The only mushrooms I'm really confident about picking are the boletes and morels. My Latvian mother picked many more, which I recognize when I see them, but they have enough look-alikes in bad classes that even with a handbook I don't feel real confident. She also parboiled a lot of them in several changes of waters. Our springs and falls have been so dry in the last few years that mushrooms have been rather scarce.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #8
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

My mother used to boil the wild mushrooms in salt water and then pour it off. She said that would draw any poison out of the mushrooms but I would not trust that idea unless I was near death starving. Apparently, that is to be done with a few mushroom varieties anyway, like the honey mushroom and a type of lepiota.

Parents knew which ones were safe but I did not recall what they were and they may be different in Ontario from those in B.C.

Mom used to salt them too, in a gallon jar in the fridge. Delicious cold with some sweet/sour rye bread.

2015 was so dry in the woods here that there were patches of dead moss and very few mushrooms. Last fall was so wet that the chanterelles were often soggy and those do not dry well when so wet. Last fall I found a patch of matsutake only about 3 km from home on a walk I do once in a while. I was sure there were none in that woods but found one little corner where I picked about a dozen over the season, leaving and scattering the old ones to spread out the spores a little further.

Seems that daughter has a new boyfriend who likes to go mushrooming. I am thrilled and hoping they will take granny out into the hills at least once this fall, after all the tomato work is done!
Old April 22, 2017   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I was reluctant to look at this thread because I could eat mushrooms every day.
Most of what we have here will kill you.
Others inedible.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #10
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Gee, after reading this, go ahead, eat them every day.

Quote:
The best news about mushrooms is a powerful micronutrient called ergothioneine. Ergothioneine is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory which mushrooms have in very high concentrations. Cooking actually releases this powerful nutrient from the mushroom cells. Mushrooms also have high levels of polyphenols that give them a higher antioxidant level than green pepper and zucchini.
http://superfoodsrx.com/healthylivin...-of-mushrooms/
Old April 22, 2017   #11
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I love mushroom soup, mushroom sauce, meat on mushrooms, fried mushroom cuttings, mushrooms preserved in sweet-acid infusion, etc. Mushrooms are never enough.
Vladimír
PS.:Lobster and Matsutaka do not grow with us, I've never seen them
MrBig46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #12
bower
Tomatovillian™

I also love forest mushrooms, and even more, I love the hunt for them! What better excuse to go crawling around in the woods, or for always having twigs in your hair.
We have two kinds of chanterelles here, the golden and the winter chanterelle, and we have two kinds of teeth mushrooms which are favorites, the big one repandum and a smaller, foxy type which is tasty. And we have the matsutake here - again, two types, both are excellent and deeply aromatic. I would rather clean them than eat them (if I had to choose!), the smell is so intoxicating and released with every cut. Our boletes are widely scattered but we do hope to find a few on those long hikes. I learned about our local boletes from a friend whose mother was German. They had the culture of collecting boletes and other mushrooms, which we didn't have here. It's hard to find B. edulis that isn't already attacked by larvae. But we have the bay bolete (B. badius) here which is equally tasty, less affected by the bugs and also more reliable. We have eaten a few odd boletes that never could identify for sure, and never found the same one again.

There are quite a few other edibles around but to be honest, we pretty well stick with the faves. All depends whether by "edible" you mean "will not kill you" versus "you're gonna love it!"
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #13
Randall
Tomatovillian™

I love hiking and hunting mushrooms in the woods. Here are a few of the edible mushies I find around me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16 (Small).jpg (49.0 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg Hunt 025 (Small).jpg (75.5 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg 1 (Small).jpg (57.2 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg 5t (Small).jpg (63.9 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg 6 (Small).jpg (80.9 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg 2 (Small).jpg (63.5 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg 1s (Small).jpg (71.2 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg chicken 003 (Small).jpg (58.1 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg hen 004 (Small).jpg (85.1 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg hike mush 002 (Small).jpg (63.2 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg hike mush 004 (Small).jpg (69.3 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 1 c(Small).jpg (69.9 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg huntin 045 (Small).jpg (49.9 KB, 205 views)
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #14
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes - the B edulis is a larvae magnet. It grows here in abundance and is even exported to Southern Italy (Italians don't know they're eating plenty of larvae and maggots with their Finnish mushrooms...)...
I lost my appetite somewhat when an expert said that almost ALL Boletus edulis mushrooms are filled with larvae, even when they're microscopically small.

That's why I much prefer the chantarelle varieties, they usually are left alone by insetcs (but slugs still love them)
Old April 22, 2017   #15
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Randall - beautiful! Like a fairytale forest. I recognize plenty of those