Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old October 8, 2017   #1
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Default Winding down

Well it's getting time for garden clean up It has been a good year. The peppers will be pulled last as I am still getting some. As many have expressed it's been an outstanding pepper season. Still can't get over how tall the plants grew this year especially the Padron. They look a little sad now.

Started some snow peas with seeds I saved from the spring planting. The bees are loving the basil growing in this old wash tub since I let it flower. I have several containers of different varieties of basil, if I could only grow one herb it would most def be basil!

I have been picking on these 2 containers of lettuce for several weeks now. My sister had these drawers she was going to toss and I thought they were perfect for lettuce so I drilled some holes and scattered seeds. Cut and come again, I love a garden fresh salad. Also harvesting a good amount of kale, especially from this one growing in a container.

The beans are looking rough but I am still picking every other day! Not much better than garden fresh green beans.

The thickly sewn radishes in new garden bed seem quite happy Granddaughter helped water them yesterday!

Lastly are Golden Treasure peppers, vines are bent over and still loaded. They seem to take forever to ripen but they are quite delicious as greenies.

I've already pulled most of the tomatoes, Sun Sugar and Green Giant still standing.

Both of my freezers are full of garden goodies. I am planning to do some canning next year.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171008_121114.jpg (644.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20171008_120707.jpg (577.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20171008_114208.jpg (312.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20171008_114218.jpg (332.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20171008_120048.jpg (378.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20171008_121950.jpg (317.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20171007_170031.jpg (496.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 20171008_134717.jpg (335.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20171008_134806.jpg (320.3 KB, 56 views)
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2017   #2
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Great pics!

Have you ever tried to dig up and overwinter Pepper plants before? It's on my list for this next year.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2017   #3
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Jeff! I haven't overwintered peppers either but I have always been curious about it. I might just give it a try especially the hot peppers!
Old October 9, 2017   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

Your lettuce still looks great, jillian! Mine are starting to bolt and I have gleaned the best of it.

Great pic of your little radish helper too!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2017   #5
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Thanks bower! The lettuce is kept under an eave and has protected from the sun. Seems to be the perfect spot.

Took my little helper back to her other grandparents last evening. She bawled and it just tore my heart into pieces. Mom and Dad are absent and need their butts kicked to put it mildly. She is such a sweetie, carrying way too much weight on those tiny shoulders Praying that somehow everything will all work out ..........

Got lots of rain yesterday and last night and cloudy for the week here. Maybe I won't have to water for awhile!