Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 20, 2006   #1
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Grub's Seed Share

Stayed up late and got them all done. Wrapped in bubble wrap. In envelopes.

Do you think I should bother writing tomato seeds, what is it, lyco lyco or whatever, on the outside of the envelope? They look pretty innocuous to me.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2006   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I tend to do a customs form with Lycopersicon Esculentum as the contents - research samples, no commercial value. Then again, I don't know what you do or don't have to do!
Old February 20, 2006   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Grub,

If you're only sending a pack of seeds to some folks here in the US you don't need to write Lycopersicon lycopersicon or L. esculentum or Solanum lycopersicon or S. esculentum or any of the other names that tomatoes are known by these days by different folks.

A single pack is probably not going to trigger anything going thru the regular mail system. It might be a different story if trying to bring in seeds physically across the Canadian border to the US, though.

While technically it's illegal to send seeds into the US without a phytosanitary certificate b'c no provisions were made for hobby amounts of seed although that was in the original writeup before revisions, I've heard of very few letters that have been intercepted, and that info from SSE where there's lots of folks sending to and from Europe and elsewhere to the US.

I put a customs label on when I send lots of packs to certain countries, and your Aussie customs is, shall we say, rather persnikety about it, so when I sent seeds to Patrina for you folks I always attached a customs label. And recently did so for large shipments of many packs to Israel as well.

But I think you'll be fine with just a small business envelope and a single pack without writing anything on the envelope.
Old February 20, 2006   #4
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Great News

Thanks,

That makes it easier. I was never much good at craft and last night was a thorough workout. Wrestling with sticky tape and scissors, bubble wrap and envelopes.

It was tougher than the gym. And I think I look somewhat bedragled today, sporting bits of tape stuck to my face, tomato seeds under my nails and a layer of horse glue on my thung. And all the while Desparate Housewives was calling in the background (where it belongs).

Anyway, they go today. Craig, Carolyn and Fusion have bigger lots of PLs and, just in case you want to try it, RLs.

Wish you could see the GMG fruit on my desk in the office today. So amber at the blossom end to be almost Kelloggs Breakfast orange.

Cheers, Grub :wink:
Old February 23, 2006   #5
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Grub, thanks for the GMG PL seeds - arrived today. Now I know what you mean about bubble wrap - still nice and slim. (I was picturing "padded envelope" when you mentioned about bubble wrapping the seeds.)

Looking forward to growing this one to compare with the other greens. Are you sending a sample to Marysville? :wink:

PP
Patrina_Pepperina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2006   #6
Warped
Tomatovillian™

i got mine yesterday grub now if only it wasnt coming onto winter
Warped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2006   #7
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Good News

Good stuff. No way for those seeds to get crushed with that bubble wrap.

PP,
If someone is coming through Sydney they are more than welcome to pick-up a GMG et al for tasting

As Warped says, we now have to wait some time to platn them out. Though mine in the patch are still going strong

NHers should get them late next week I hope.

Cheers, Grub.
Old February 23, 2006   #8
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Good News

Good stuff. No way for those seeds to get crushed with that bubble wrap.

PP,
If someone is coming through Sydney they are more than welcome to pick-up a GMG et al for tasting

As Warped says, we now have to wait some time to platn them out. Though mine in the patch are still going strong

NHers should get them late next week I hope.

Cheers, Grub.
Old February 25, 2006   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Grub, got my seeds today, and thank you, but help me understand this.

Your envelope had NO stamps on it at all, only four orange lined blank squares at the lower right of the envelope, and yet the seeds reached me.

Are four orange outlined blank squares some kind of international postal system code that I'm not aware of?
Old February 25, 2006   #10
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Lol

Hi Carolyn,
I had about 60 envelopes and the lady at the post office took them in as bulk mail. I didn't disagree, thinking of the extra effort of licking about 60 stamps, and that was that. They worked out at $1.80 a letter. Which seems steep considering you don't even get a stamp and they weigh next to nothing. But I'm very glad you got them. And next time I will make sure you have stamps on your envelope. I suspect you like stamps and right now we have a lovely windflower collection. Best Grub
Old February 25, 2006   #11
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I received mine today, and thanks!
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2006   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

No Grub, I don't need stamps on envelopes b/c I'm not a stamp collector.

I just couldn't figure out how that envelope got to me without a stamp, but clearly four outlined in orange blank squares mean something to someone somewhere.

If I do raise seedlings this year or have someone do it, if that looks like a possibility, I'll be sure to grow your mystery one and I'd probably grow Green Giant again 'bc it wasn't all that good for me last year and I'd want to compare it with yours anyway.

I should know in the next two weeks or so what's up for me medical wise for the summer.

And thanks again.
Old February 25, 2006   #13
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi Grub,

I received my seeds from you. Thank you very much. I look forward to trying your tomato. I have an off prem mail box. I normally pick up my mail every other day. Your package could have arrived today or yesteday.

Take care and happy gardening.

Kindest Regards,

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2006   #14
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Beaut

I'm just really glad that I can in some small way repay your generosity
Old February 26, 2006   #15
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137
Are four orange outlined blank squares some kind of international postal system code that I'm not aware of?
Carolyn, those four squares are where we write our Aussie postcodes, which are all only 4 digit codes, then they are read by computers and automatically sorted. All South Australian codes start with 5, all Victorian codes start with 3 (and Tasmania I think), Queensland codes start with 4, New South Wales codes start with 2, and so on... read, I don't know any others :wink:

PP
Patrina_Pepperina is offline   Reply With Quote