Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old December 31, 2017   #16
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

Andrey, they all are so good looking. Which ones are the tastiest and the most productive? I too live in a cool climate.
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2018   #17
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

I DO NOT recommend Blacktail Mountain. It has never grown well for me here in Northern Colorado. I've tried it several years in a row. Still was pitiful. It may have originally been bred in Idaho, but the seed for it is now grown in Missouri and the south U.S. and is not adapted to northern gardens anymore. A breeding collaborator of mine in Northern Utah also does NOT recommend Blacktail mountain. It does not grow for us.

My picks are Sweet Dakota Rose, Yellow Doll, and Early Moonbeam (dehybridized yellow doll by Alan Kapuler).

Last edited by Keen101; January 2, 2018 at 06:45 PM.
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2018   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen101 View Post
I DO NOT recommend Blacktail Mountain. It has never grown well for me here in Northern Colorado. I've tried it several years in a row. Still was pitiful. It may have originally been bred in Idaho, but the seed for it is now grown in Missouri and the south U.S. and is not adapted to northern gardens anymore. A breeding collaborator of mine in Northern Utah also does NOT recommend Blacktail mountain. It does not grow for us.

My picks are Sweet Dakota Rose, Yellow Doll, and Early Moonbeam (dehybridized yellow doll by Alan Kapuler).
Keen,you know that I know where you garden in Colorado.

The seed for it is NOT grown in MO and the south US. If you go to Glenn's website you can see where he said HE planted it on such and such a date in 2016, etc. So yes, Glenn in IA is still growing his own seed.

I think you may have confused him with Fusion in Alabama who does grow cotton and peanuts and more for Glenn.

As for your collaborator in Utah, I think you mean Dale Thurber,but maybe Joseph, but I can't remember right now where he is from without checking.

I can agree with your Yellow Doll, very much so for I've grown that one a lot,but all should know it's an F1 hybrid if that's an issue for some.

Glenn lists several short season ones, that I've grown,there are many more I haven't grown, but of those I've grown I can suggest.

Cream of Saskatchewan and Orengeglo.

The reason Glenn lists so many melons is b/c for many years he was the Curator of Cucurbits For SSE. But no more.

Carolyn, watching the temp plunge lower and lower.
Old January 2, 2018   #19
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I'm in northern Minnesota, and Blacktail Mountain has done very well for me here for the past three years. Started early in 4" pots in a greenhouse about three weeks before setting out. Fruit ripe by late August/early September. I got my seed from Sand Hill Preservation, and plan to grow it again.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2018   #20
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntannedSwede View Post
Thank you all for your advice, I will spring for the Blacktail Mountain seeds then. I had some success with 'Small Shining Light' a few years ago, in spite of being root-bound and stunted. They were in black containers though- soil temperature wasn't so much of an issue. I didn't think to measure the temperature of the bed over the summer, I will make a note of that for this coming season!

I like the idea of that melon landrace- sounds like a lot of time and effort on the part of the developer

Sounds like I should invest in black plastic and some rain barrels! Moon and Stars is the most beautiful watermelon I have ever seen, I tried it a few years ago but no fruit of course. Loved the spotted leaves. I'll save my plans for exotic watermelons for when I have a greenhouse some day. Much appreciated everybody!
Could you do a low cover? Just clear plastic and pvc pipe. You could train the melons to go length ways to keep them inside their boundaries.
Btw,I have grown Orangeglo and liked it quite well. I’m not sure how they’d do in your climate though,we have long hot summers.
I’m looking for a melon that doesn’t split as much because last year they split badly with our big thunderstorms last summer. Which is a huge bummer,watching them get big,nearly ready and then splitting in half. The goats and horses sure enjoyed them. I might consider putting low tunnels over the plants later in the season just to keep them drier.

Last edited by Tracydr; January 2, 2018 at 05:39 PM.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2018   #21
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Keen,you know that I know where you garden in Colorado.

The seed for it is NOT grown in MO and the south US.
YES it IS! Maybe not from all sources, but from many watermelon growers! So sourcing where your seed comes from may be important. All i know is that it is a terrible variety for me. So terrible that i can not in good conscience recommend it. I tried it three or four years in a row and it failed to thrive. So i gave up on it. That does not mean that someone in a similar short season climate with different moisture content in their air or different soil it might do fantastic. I have heard from some that it does well, but i have heard from others that it does not live up to expectations at all either. Seems to be a hit or miss variety.

https://www.rareseeds.com/blacktail-...in-watermelon/

http://www.southernexposure.com/blac...1-g-p-361.html
Old January 3, 2018   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen101 View Post
YES it IS! Maybe not from all sources, but from many watermelon growers! So sourcing where your seed comes from may be important. All i know is that it is a terrible variety for me. So terrible that i can not in good conscience recommend it. I tried it three or four years in a row and it failed to thrive. So i gave up on it. That does not mean that someone in a similar short season climate with different moisture content in their air or different soil it might do fantastic. I have heard from some that it does well, but i have heard from others that it does not live up to expectations at all either. Seems to be a hit or miss variety.

https://www.rareseeds.com/blacktail-...in-watermelon/

http://www.southernexposure.com/blac...1-g-p-361.html
All any of us can do is to offer our own experience with anything we grow. You have done that and so have I and yes, I did read the two links you gave.

Carolyn
Old January 6, 2018   #23
SuntannedSwede
Tomatovillian™

Wow- I had thought about buying some Blacktail Mountain seed from Baker Creek but I think I'll try to find a Canadian source from a cooler climate!
SuntannedSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2018   #24
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntannedSwede View Post
Wow- I had thought about buying some Blacktail Mountain seed from Baker Creek but I think I'll try to find a Canadian source from a cooler climate!
PM me an address to send them to and I will mail 12 seeds from plants grown in Wisconsin.
Dutch
P.S. My garden soil is amended Dolomite Clay.

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; January 7, 2018 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Spelling and Grammar
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2018   #25
SuntannedSwede
Tomatovillian™

Hey thanks so much- pm incoming!
Old January 10, 2018   #26
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Sweet Dakota Rose is my go to here in Northern Wyoming. People really are happy to find our plants at our annual plant sale. I grew Cream of Sask. years ago. It was good but split very easy. We had a long growing season that year, so we got lucky. I tried Blacktail Mountain for a few years and quit when Sweet Dakota Rose became available.
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018   #27
SuntannedSwede
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that, I hadn't ever seen that one before. Adding it to my list. My grandfather is from Park County- that's rugged country you're growing in!

EDIT: It would appear that I missed seeing Dakota Rose in Keen's post! Boy there are a ton of cool weather melons.

Last edited by SuntannedSwede; January 12, 2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old January 13, 2018   #28
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Early varieties are usually with compromise taste.
Full taste varieties are always mid late and late. The tastiest from Soviet/Russian watermelon varieties is Kholodok.
It is the king of farmer markets here in the late September-October. They come from the South of Russia (Astrakhan, Volgograd and Kuban regions).

A good keeper with a great skin color and a very sweet pinky-red flesh.
Like it very much and always waiting for autumn time because of Kholodok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann123 View Post
Andrey, they all are so good looking. Which ones are the tastiest and the most productive? I too live in a cool climate.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; January 13, 2018 at 01:50 AM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018   #29
MdTNGrdner

What a beauty! That shape is very special, isn't it?
Old January 13, 2018   #30
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Good luck with whatever you try! I personally find the yellow fleshed varieties taste better than the reds usually regardless of size. One guy even tested his watermelon once. He said he had a red fleshed watermelon at 14 brix, and a yellow at 10 brix, but despite the brix the yellow one tasted sweeter to his tongue. lol.