Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 17, 2018   #16
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

ken that is one of my interests as well as the live microbes. making kraut is an art.....imho
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

One of the worst things you can do is over wash the cabbage.
I dont wash the stuff I ferment maybe a little rinse if that to get dirt off.
There is by far more good bacteria in this world than bad.
Bactria we need to live.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #18
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Pickled cabbage (Kvashennaya Kapusta in Russian) which is called sauerkraut is a very old traditional recipe/dish of Russian and Slavic cuisine. It has been for ages one of the main food to Russian people during the cold time from November until April along with stored cabbage, turnip and pickled cucumbers. They eat meat only for holidays during so many centuries before 1930s.
It's interesting that pickled cabbage contains much more vitamins than fresh cabbage. It is usually served as winter salad here. And you also can make a sour soup from it called Shchi (Щи in Russian).

We have many special cabbage varieties for pickling from Soviet Union times. Slava 1305, Podarok, Amager 611, Moskovskaya Pozdnyaya, Kharkovskaya Zimnyaya, Mara etc. They are midseason to late varieties.
The best cabbages for pickling should be firm and 3-5 kg in weight. Usually we add shredded carrot, onion or even cranberries to chopped cabbage.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; March 18, 2018 at 09:37 AM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018   #19
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Andrey, wish you were my neighbor..
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018   #20
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Probably this is a not so bad idea for me to live in Nebraska))) Growing tomatoes and prepairing pickled cabbage)

At least one day I hope I will be able to visit some of you in USA with seed samples and Belarusian/Russian cookbook)

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; March 24, 2018 at 03:35 PM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018   #21
imp
Tomatovillian™

Andrey, your sauerkraut looks much like my grandmothers did ( as I can recall from long ago!), nice and plump yet, not stringy and gooey. She made several types, one of my favorites was made with carrots, apples and caraway seeds, another with some rye seeds as it fermented in HUGE old crocks! Sometimes she would shred some home canned red beets to add to the salad just before serving, to "sweeten" it, she said.

Made me smile to see your pictures of your sauerkraut.

I used to love most of what ever she cooked, she cooked everything on a huge cast iron wood range, maybe coal? I was only three last I saw her, so some things are not recalled well.

Edit:

Do you put the cranberries n while fermenting or at serving, raw or cooked?

Last edited by imp; March 24, 2018 at 07:35 PM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2018   #22
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Andrey, like imp, your posts remind me of things that were long forgotten from my childhood. My grandmother used to have many of the foods you describe when I was a very little girl (I never knew my grandfather). They are far back in my memory from 50 years ago. My mother aunt and grandmother would speak Russian/ Yiddish/German in front of me when they didn't want me to understand their adult conversations. They are all gone many years now.

It is FREEZING here in Nebraska this spring. Please do come here and visit. You will see your fabulous tomatoes growing along side the local favorites.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2018   #23
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Andrey, like imp, your posts remind me of things that were long forgotten from my childhood. My grandmother used to have many of the foods you describe when I was a very little girl (I never knew my grandfather). They are far back in my memory from 50 years ago. My mother aunt and grandmother would speak Russian/ Yiddish/German in front of me when they didn't want me to understand their adult conversations. They are all gone many years now.

It is FREEZING here in Nebraska this spring. Please do come here and visit. You will see your fabulous tomatoes growing along side the local favorites.

- Lisa
Lisa when do you start your plants in Omaha? I've got pots and soil for 92 plants. I just don't wanna start too early.

The cabbage seeds has already been started. I'm talking about tomatoes to be clear.

Out here in the panhandle I usually start April 1 but I usually can't get the plants into the garden until June 1 and I don't want leggy plants this year.

I'm starting to believe the long legged plants are not the best to plant. I'm shooting for 12 inch tall plants instead of two footers this year.

Maybe I should have made another thread but this is Tomatoville after all..
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2019   #24
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I use cabbage for creamy slaw and started fermenting sauerkraut last year. The 8 heads cabbage that I started from seed (assorted varieties) were shredded by hail this past weekend. It was about 18 inches wide, huge leaves, but had not headed. It was in full sun, but endured some wide temperature fluctuations. Maybe it would have headed given more time. I had nice heads last year in an area receiving morning sun only.

Any opinions on Bonnie Hybrid Cabbage (DTM 75) ? I bought a 6 pack today, to fill in until I get another seed batch started. I have space in the shady area where I grew cabbage last year, or in full sun where squash was previously grown. Starting to feel like summer with temps in the 80's coming. I'm not familiar with this cabbage variety so I hope someone can guide me as to the better site considering the high temps at this time of year.

- Lisa
Old May 30, 2019   #25
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here is a link showing one of the Favorite slaw Cabbage varieties used in Germany .

https://www.amazon.de/Kohlsamen-Spit.../dp/B00R724COY
Old May 30, 2019   #26
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

I don't use whey either. Does the whey change the flavor or texture? Or, does it just speed up the process?
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2019   #27
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamuMahubah View Post
I need your help! Last year the cabbage grew great! It just turned out to be a smaller variety.

I don't need Megaton. I need less than basketball size bigger than softball.

Do you have a preference for sauerkraut cabbage? Where do you get your seeds?
I use 'Stone Head'. They're about 3 lbs, maybe 6" in diameter and hard. About 60 days to harvest. And yes, as someone else mentioned, I think they're sweeter when grown in the fall. They make good kraut.

I also grow 'Charleston Wakefield', a 70 day pointy-headed type that does well here in the South. It's not super tight but sweet and we use it for making kimchi.

Lots of seed companies carry Stone Head. Search the internet by variety name.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2019   #28
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I use cabbage for creamy slaw and started fermenting sauerkraut last year. The 8 heads cabbage that I started from seed (assorted varieties) were shredded by hail this past weekend. It was about 18 inches wide, huge leaves, but had not headed. It was in full sun, but endured some wide temperature fluctuations. Maybe it would have headed given more time. I had nice heads last year in an area receiving morning sun only.

Any opinions on Bonnie Hybrid Cabbage (DTM 75) ? I bought a 6 pack today, to fill in until I get another seed batch started. I have space in the shady area where I grew cabbage last year, or in full sun where squash was previously grown. Starting to feel like summer with temps in the 80's coming. I'm not familiar with this cabbage variety so I hope someone can guide me as to the better site considering the high temps at this time of year.

- Lisa

No experience with this particular cabbage? I haven't planted it yet, and I'm a bit concerned about the warm temps when it matures in mid - August. Bitter/goes to seed/ refuses to head? Just curious, not much info on the net short of what our friends at Bonnie proudly describe.

- Lisa