Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 1, 2018   #1
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

Default Watermelon radish

I gave this variety a shot this spring but I’m starting to think that our spring is too warm at times. The plants germinated well and took of to a fast start, then started pushing their flowers to go to seed.

Does anyone have any experience with them? I’m growing French breakfast also and they come up nice and mild. The watermelon radishes have not started for bulb up ( I pulled a few up and the little radish on the end is SPICY) underground and seem to only want to reproduce.

I’m thinking this must be a variety for fall planting only in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasTomat0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018   #2
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Even in the cool north, Spring planting can be a toss-up. I have much better luck in
the Fall.

My soil, hard clay and rocks, has improved over the years adding lots of organics and
a couple bags of sand every year in that bed...for beets, radish, and the basil 1/3'd
of the bed.

They like consistent wet showers but no wet feet so good drainage is important.
Those beds are also salad so I run a small sprinkler as often as possible when no showers
are forecast. Still I get just pathetic ping-pong size but good enough for me.

I'm testing some 5 gal grow bags this year. Grew sweet potatoes successfully last year
in a bag. Not much harvest but at least it worked.

They are lovely and tasty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pickle salad.jpg (326.2 KB, 66 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #3
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

I’ve got them in a raised bed and on a drip hose as well so I’m sure it’s the heat, and it hasn’t really started to get hot here yet. I will definitely try them in the fall/winter because I’ll bet they can do fine through out mild winters.

Those do look like beautiful radishes. Mine are about the size of a night crawler worm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 2, 2018   #4
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

If they are going to seed, don't beat 'em, join 'em. Radish pods containing the seeds taste like radishes. Whereas one plant gives you one radish, it will give you many pods.

Harvest the pods when they start to plump up. Don't wait too long or they will get woody. There is a little bit of tough stem that tends to stick to the pod; pull it off.

Give it a try!

Nan

Edited to add:I'm growing watermelon radishes this year too. I was glad to hear they're quick to bolt, as I only harvest the pods.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #5
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

Nan - I am just letting them go to seed. I've got most in a pretty wild area in the yard and I like the way the look. Plus I figured they'd attract pollinators and I can save seeds and resew in the fall.