Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old September 6, 2018   #1
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Default Choppee okra

Last year I posted a comment that I would like to grow okra. All I ever knew was Clemson, seems to be the norm around here and you really don't see anything else. Well, friedgreen51 offered seeds of Choppee and I am just amazed. These pods can get large and are still tender. And extremely productive. I have given away lots as well as frozen about all my freezers will allow. I wonder why this variety isn't more known? It should be and I definitely won't be without it. Thanks Friedgreen51, I am for sure saving seeds!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2018   #2
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Default Pics

IMG_20180907_190717.jpg

IMG_20180907_190814.jpg

IMG_20180907_190833.jpg

I picked the okra two days ago and here is what it looked like today. To you who have requested seeds you will be delighted.. Can't get over this okra. Super productive and still tender when large. I am promoting only because it's THAT GOOD. Thanks again friedgreen51.
Old September 10, 2018   #3
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I had a few seeds and started one plant in a bucket for isolated seed production to grow next year. It's about 4' tall and I've harvested about 10 pods already. I started these late and they seem to start producing earlier than other varieties. Did you notice that too and how's the flavor?
Old September 14, 2018   #4
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Rajun, I was surprised at how early these started producing. And it just keeps on producing like crazy, I am now on a ladder to pick. As far as flavor I really haven't eaten any okra I couldn't stand, (I LOVE OKRA) but I will say this. I planted 5 Jing orange at the opposite end of Choppee. Jing is very pretty in color but tastewise I am not impressed, especially compared to CHOPPEE. I can eat the Choppee raw, yep.
Jing was also stingy with the pods, not even close to Choppee productivity.
I won't look elsewhere for an okra variety, don't see how any could be any better at least for me. Delicious, productive, tender when large.
Old September 14, 2018   #5
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I am still on the seed list I hope? Better yet just ship me a bushel of fresh tomorrow! Last year I was bending down the clemson spineless to pick the last month, it was about 9-10 ft. This year, with all the rain there are a few thick, thick stalks but it's still not over 6 ft I don't believe.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2018   #6
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Jillian I wanted to ask what type of fertilization/ground prep do you do for your okra?
Old September 14, 2018   #7
jillian
Tomatovillian™

This okra bed came to life at the last moment. I had already filled my raised bed with tomatoes, peppers, butternut squash and cukes so I had no room left for the okra.
I did have a sunny spot 5' by 15' area which I had put plastic on and placed containers on it the year before. So the grass was gone and I dug down, it was very Sandy soil . I was surprised, wasn't sure how it would perform but at least it was easy digging. Dumped in some black cow and mushroom compost and that was it. I haven't fertilized since then. I have 35 Choppee plants and 5 Jing orange and now I'm wondering about cross pollination? They are on the opposite end but idk, what think?
Some of the okra stalks at bottom look like small tree trunks.
Old September 14, 2018   #8
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I was wondering the same thing about okra crossing. The bumblebees here get really loaded down with pollen at times. I am rarely at the garden in the morning this year so I don't see the cone flowers getting worked.
Old September 21, 2018   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
I was wondering the same thing about okra crossing. The bumblebees here get really loaded down with pollen at times. I am rarely at the garden in the morning this year so I don't see the cone flowers getting worked.
From my experience okra is very bad to cross. The first year I grew Cowhorn and Becks at the same time. The seed from both were all kinds of crosses of the two when I grew them the next year. If I plan on saving okra seed then I don't plant more than one variety in a year.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote