Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old March 12, 2006   #1
Teacher_Mike
Tomatovillian™

Default Planting Peas Yet?

So - when will you all be planting your peas? I've heard St. Patrick's Day as the time to do it, here in my zone 6-ish south-central PA garden...that seems a little early even for a cool-weather crop.

(Wish I could ask my grandparents, long gone . But then I'd also be able to ask them what kind of tomatoes they grew that tasted so gosh darnoodley good, even if they DID give me "mouth sores" every summer from eating so many right off of the old table in the summer house...and if I knew that then it might mean that I wouldn't be here in search of that flavor, and meeting all of you good people...silver lining, I guess :wink: . But I'd still like to ask them, along with about a gazillion other things, and get another good long hug or two... )

While you are thinking peas...what are your favorite varieties? I'm looking for shell and snap...not so much interested in snow types, but feel free to tout your favs if you like!
Teacher_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2006   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

This week was to be the pea planting time along with lettuce and spinach except we are expecting a late snow storm Sunday and the possibility of another toward Wednesday. May just have to plant anyway and see what happens.

Being a big pea connoisseur, I bought a small packet of Melting Sugar snow peas from a Lowes building center. If they don't do well, I am out a whole buck and a quarter.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2006   #3
redwing
Tomatovillian™

Teacher_Mike,
My Grandfathers both claimed that you had to wait till the lilac leaves were the size of a mouse's ear before the peas go into the ground, sigh, and my lilac buds, while getting larger, are not showing any signs of opening yet!
Sigh, Jayne
redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2006   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I always plant peas when I see forsythia blooming. That's this week. I like Dwarf Grey Sugar and Amish Snap.
Old March 13, 2006   #5
Colorado_west
Tomatovillian™

Little hard to do here as snow on the ground. Lilac was budding out a week ago before this week long snow storm.
Colorado_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2006   #6
clay199
Tomatovillian™

Snow here too, at least where our lot is. I usually plant peas as soon as the frost leaves the ground. Sometimes they don't do much but they do not seem to be harmed by the experience.

Homesteader for garden peas is my favorite.
clay199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2006   #7
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to get my snow-peas started
in the ground on April 15th ~
Not sure what the weathers going to be like -
But if it gets too cold ? I'll just plant more ~
Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2006   #8
Teacher_Mike
Tomatovillian™

I believe I'll try to get them in in the next 2-3 weeks, end of the month...but with this wacky weather (70+ degrees right now at 6:30, but high of mid 30s by the end of the week ) I'm not making any promises!
Teacher_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2006   #9
ACEHearts
Tomatovillian™

I was eyeing the new planting bed along side the shed this afternoon, and *almost* put some seeds in the ground. Definetly pushing it too early, but what's a girl to do? As it was I spent more than a few mins trying to shovel snow off the big drift that got pushed to the edge of my garden when DH was clearing snow this winter, in hopes I could make it melt faster

For peas I'm planting two varieties of snow peas, and maybe a few regular peas too, though around here the only peas that get eaten are snow peas. DH won't eat shelled peas at all I'm planting them in the area that will get cucumbers later in the season, so I can get two areas of growth out of that prime location

Cindy
ACEHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2006   #10
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

The peas are in the ground. I guess snow peas should be able to survive a snowstorm on the way. Also put in onions and lettuce.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2006   #11
Cyn
Tomatovillian™

Default they are in the ground

I haven't ever grown peas before, so I have some in containers and some in my herb bed - the package said I could plant a patch and they would hold each other up w/o trellis - we'll see if that happens. I have about 4 plants up already - and the baby lettuce is about ready to be thinned - Cyn
Cyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2006   #12
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

I planted peas already, tho' I'm sure I'll regret it. We've had so much rain since, I'm sure they'll rot.... HOWEVER... I purchased 2 or 3# of seeds ~I REALLY like sugar snaps!! I only planted 1/2#, so I've got a few more chances to get it right.

I grew Super Sugar Snap, Sugar Ann, and Dwarf Gray Snow Peas last year. The Snow peas were very starchy tasting, but the blossoms are B-E-A-U-TIFUL! BUT, I'm sticking with Super Sugar this year.
Old March 20, 2006   #13
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Don't always do peas, but thought I'd give them a go this year, just a small raised bed. The forsythia is blooming and St. Pat's day is past, planted mine on March 18th.

Trying 'Paladio' this year - short plants, don't need trelllising, big long pods, long harvest - time will tell.
Old March 20, 2006   #14
clay199
Tomatovillian™

D,
Peas, peas instead of tomatoes?

Oh boy.
clay199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2006   #15
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i wouldn't yet. in the past week the day time highs have been in the mid 30's and lower 40's, at night it has been 14-18 above zero. i wait until 4/15 - 4/25.
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote